Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Blacked out rims

16K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
#5 ·
WOW... after seeing the dodge thread this has every answer i need, i was worried about plasti dip sticking to chrome.

i found this video:

its vinyl wrapping using a heat gun but if people say plastic dip holds up ill try that instead. im going to spray my 20"s in october and take it off in april probably thats about 6 months depending on weather so we will see but plasti dip looks good.

#7 ·
If the Dodge peeps are reporting good result under pressure washing at a car wash, I wouldn't see what it wouldn't work well. If you do get a couple cans to do your rims, take 1 or 2 small trim pieces and try it out and see if it holds up. Sounds like it would all peel off it it didn't work well. I am seriously debating trying this on mine. Black on black is pure sex, lol.

#8 · (Edited)
I wouldent go through automatic carwashes, because that is what tore off a large piece on my rims. I went around chrome for about 2 weeks before I re did them, this time buying 4 cans to make sure I had extra. Here's some current pics with 15% window tint.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113959...authkey=Gv1sRgCPilutqhzbqC9gE&feat=directlink

Thats my picasa gallery with more pics of the rims etc.

Edit: You should be fine washing them with a pressure washer, but I wouldn't get the nozzle of the pressure washer any more than two feet close to the rims.

#19 ·
I dont know if you noticed or not you guys but my side chrome vents on the fenders are blacked out as well. I didn't even bother to tape them off. Just painted and when it dried I took a xacto knife and cut around it and peeled the paint off. Didn't harm my paint at all but it DID run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.