Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (GODFATHER @ Mar 24 2009, 04:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711920
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Mar 24 2009, 06:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711917
If you're gonna do that, you need steelies with dog dishes :D[/b]

i have not seen any steel rims 16" that will
support a center cap..they have them in 15" i seen
[/b][/quote]

It's not the rim that supports the center cap, it's the lug pattern. The old police Taurus used special lug nuts that the center cap snapped on to. Ford doesn't make those lug nuts and center caps anymore, but if you can somehow get your hands on them, then the standard G4 steelies will work.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
theres a bunch of walkthroughs on youtube about how to paint wheels, i followed the one were the guy paints a wheel on a 4runner, its a great walkthrough, and he and i just used dupicolor stuff u get at autozone.

these wheels will look SWEEET! black.

we painted my buddys 5.0 98 explorers wheels and they look great.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I wouldnt do it.

But, if you do, get them powdercoated. Much more durable than a rattlecan, and It'll look better too.

R

·
0 Posts
I like it! not bad at all really. Whats funny is I never really liked the T bird wheel like those on a t bird but they dont look half bad on your Taurus.

You may add Duplicolors hi temp engine paint to your lists of paint. It has a ceramic stuff in the paint that will resist both heat and flaking. Normal paint will usualy flake or discolor after a little while due to heat and brake dust. Wheel are a nasty environment really. Unless you put some kinda bulletproof top coat over the regular paint then you may be alright.

Lik eothers have said its powdercoat or some special type of paint that will give you best results.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (RyanzLX1 @ Jul 4 2009, 03:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=736865
I like it! not bad at all really. Whats funny is I never really liked the T bird wheel like those on a t bird but they dont look half bad on your Taurus.

You may add Duplicolors hi temp engine paint to your lists of paint. It has a ceramic stuff in the paint that will resist both heat and flaking. Normal paint will usualy flake or discolor after a little while due to heat and brake dust. Wheel are a nasty environment really. Unless you put some kinda bulletproof top coat over the regular paint then you may be alright.

Lik eothers have said its powdercoat or some special type of paint that will give you best results.[/b]

thanks.

im going to keep them silver for now till i get bored
and then make the move :thumb:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did mine with that dupli-color stuff first, but ran out. Finished with the Rustoleum wheel paint and liked it much better. I did a bunch of coats, and the Rustoleum seemed to have a much higher flow rate and MUCH more comfortable nozzle (my finger is still sore from that duplicolor nail they have).

Go Rustoleum and buy 6 cans with one can of clear. The scuff pads they sell at Autozone work great too. I don't have an air compressor, but that would have helped a lot...

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Nice! I didn't think I was going to like the painted wheels, but for some reason, I do! Not to mention it helps to give it the Interceptor look, I think, you were going for.

What would happen if the centers were to accidentally get chromed? -May be too much actually?

Anywhoo - :thumb: :notworthy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts