Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1998 Black SHO. I'v clay bared, polished and waxed but I can see there is still room for inprovment, there is still a small amount of swril marks. All done by hand, don't trust myself to electric polishers. What polishers and waxes do others use. Paint is in very very good condition, no body work has every been done to car. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You are not going to get decent results without a random orbital or something like Makita Polisher. To obtain that perfect, mirror finish, a human is incapable of reaching RPMs like that of a random orbital or a polisher/buffer.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I tried using a clay bar, but I couldn't figure out how it works.... I'd run it up and down the front of my car with that detailer stuff you are supposed to use, and I didn't notice any of the grit/imperfections come out... I must have been doing something wrong....

About the swirl marks, you can buy products that specifically target them... I know I've used Meguiar's "Mirror Glaze" "Swirl Remover 2.0" in the past and that has worked well... And buffers aren't anything to be scared of if that's what you are worried about... I bought a random orbit polisher (a real crappy and cheap one) from the auto store for like $20 bucks.... When I first tried it out I was pretty disappointed because it was really weak and slow when doing a wax application... I have much more powerful ones too, so I thought the deal was too good to be true. That being said though, now it's my favourite buffer by far! It's a nice managable speed and does a pretty good job too. More importantly, I don't have carpral tunnel syndrome after I wax my car anymore...

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
you need to buy swirl mark remover and use a
low speed buffer (NOT A ORBITAL) with a sponge head and
go over it real easy using just the weight of the buffer or a little more
it can not be more than a 500 RPM speed buffer

QUOTE:

THIS IS A BUFFER YOU CAN MANAGE
HIGH SPEED BUFFERS WILL KILL THE PAINT
BELIEVE ME I HAVE DONE THIS TO ALL MY BLACK CARS IN THE PAST

1 - 4 of 4 Posts