Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son has a 1999 DOHC supposed to have about 85000 miles. Oil light has started to flicker at idle. Light goes out when driving. I am going to check the pressure in the morning, but until then I have some questions. How hard is it to change the oil pump, rod bearings, and crank bearings in the car. I know the piston bearings and the pump can be changed fairly easily, but how about crank bearings. Or should I just run straight forty weight oil? I will know more tomorrow. Thanks for any ideas.

Ed

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would check the pressure with a mechanical gauge that is known to be good, before going through the trouble of removing the pan, etc... Hopefully the tap for the sending unit is in a not so hard place to get at.

Just running thicker oil would be conceding that you (he) are willing to drive it until it has a terminal crankshaft failure, and then dispose of the vehicle. That's a decision you & your son have to make. Not saying it wouldn't last a long while anyway, it may do just that. Only be advised that the engine will be lots more prone to sludge up, once the weather starts getting cold.
Of course, you could probably get away with 10w30 in the winter.
Manufacturers recommend specific oil weights for a reason.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Probably just need to change the rod bearings. Not too expensive, $25 or so for the bearings and $2 a rod bolt.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tommy,
As I stated in my post, I am going to actually confirm what my oil pressure is. If it is within specs I will try a new sensor. If it is not, I may try an oil change and filter with a thicker oil. Using 10W30 now and very hot in florida. Manufacturers mainly specify a certain oil to maintain gas mileage numbers. I consider any 11 year old car with a book value of $2000 or less a throwaway car anyway. I have had my exhuast off not too long ago so I don't think it would be too hard to drop the pan and change the oil pump. I just thought I might change the lower end bearings too while I was in there if I go that route. Thanks SHOz. Can the crank bearings be changed while I have the bottom opened up?

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oil Light Flicker

my 1995 taurus oil light would flicker at idle too, I got a new IAC valve and a oil pressure switch,,,,,now it works just fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Scout, sorry if I sounded like I was lecturing you. Didn't mean it that way at all. And I did see that you were going to check the PSI anyway.
Knowing that you are in Florida, I wouldn't have quibbled about the thick oil option either. That is exactly what I would be doing, if the low pressure was verified.

I believe the lighter oil is used because of much closer bearing tolerances and smaller oil passages within the modern engines, more so than the minute gains in fuel mileage. JMO

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Try and use a 5w40. If not then a 10w40 for thicker oil. 5w30 and 10w30 are the same viscosity at hot oil temps.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I believe the lighter oil is used because of much closer bearing tolerances and smaller oil passages within the modern engines, more so than the minute gains in fuel mileage. JMO
It is also used in bitter cold winter driving, when you need to have oil flowing immediately on start up, after your car has been sitting all night. Lighter oil flows better at start up when cold.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Tommy,
I consider any 11 year old car with a book value of $2000 or less a throwaway car anyway.
Ed
That's only true if you have $2000 for another one. Change the oil and filter to make sure you don't have a restriction in the filter. Put in an oil pressure guage and try thicker oil as suggested above.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Can you hear knock?

What kind of oil are you running? Conventional or synthetic? What brand?

Does this happen when the car is first started? Or only after it's been warmed up?

I agree with others, you should check your pressure and perhaps a new pressure switch, but I do suspect your switch is fine based on your symptoms (on at idle but not at driving RPMs).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem Tommy :D. I appreciate everybodys input. That makes this a great website. I didn't have a chance to get to it today. Rained part of the day and my spring in my garage door broke. Had to take care of that so I can use the garage. When it rains it pours. Maybe tomorrow. I am using 10W30 right now. I don't really think brands matter too much as long as it is not Quaker State. I know that will start arguments. I feel it is more important to change it regularly and keep it clean. The car doesn't run bad, no knocks or ticks. I drove it a little today and no light.
Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts