Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum here but I wanted to doublecheck what you fellow forum members think against what my mechanic told me.

My trouble started yesterday evening when my "Check Eningine" light came on as well as my oil indicator light. I found this highly odd since we'd just had our last oil, filter change within the month and we hadn't even put 500 miles on the car yet but we'd driven it at least 3 weeks after the last oil change. I have about 135k mi. on the car so far and it hasn't given us one problem until now. I figured the dash indicators couldn't possibly be good, so I checked the oil and the dipstick indicated I was well up to the "full" line. The engine wasn't sounding weird or anything so I figured I'd disregard it last night and told my wife to be on alert for any weird noises or performance decrease the next day. My wife drove the car around this morning for less than three miles and came back and was about to go out again when she started the car and a horrible tapping and throaty sputtering noise started coming from the engine. Welp, time to get it to the mechanic. Wife swore up and down that she hadn't heard ANY odd noises up until she informed me. I immediately got it to the mechnic shop where they told me that the oil pump may be clogged or not working and my bearings may be shot depending on how much I drove it in that condition and I told them I drove it less than a mile straight to them so they said the bearings might be okay. I wonder about the skill of our mechanics sometimes because I live in a primarily small town where my family has been given a runaround before but in dire situations, sometimes we can't choose who works on our vehicels or their skill levels. I'm "car stupid" myself concerning anything past basic repairs. Does anyone know what would cause this and if the mechanics are right in their assessment? How much would a repair of this scale usually cost? I'm still waiting for an estimate back from the mechanic. Thanks in advance for any information or help.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
It's highly possible the oil pickup has gotten damaged or clogged. It's also possible that the oil pump itself has gone bad or has possibly broken a spring causeing it to release all pressure. It's all guessing until you open it up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd think the very first thing a mechanic would do is plug in to the "check engine plug" or whatever you call it and get the code to see what the source of the "Check engine" light was.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I believe two things.....
1. The oil light is for *pressure*, not level.
2. You're SOL.

Was the oil light on the whole time your wife drove it around this morning?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts