Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2004 taurus se recently failed on the highway. The tranny dropped into neutral and stayed there. Had to drive home in first only as it would shift into neutral instead of second. I replaced the shift solenoids which were going bad and cleaned out the valve body and it still has the same problem. At 340,000 miles I was thinking that one of the bands snapped or something else bad. Should i rebuild the tranny, get a new one, or sell the car?:(

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well thats a tough on.... I think I would likely see what the options are for a used tranny, get it running, and tough it out. Unless you are a tranny tech, its not really worth it to put a new tranny in it unless you are the one building it. At that many miles, I would have a tough time putting that type of money into a car that the tranny is worth more than the car!

So I vote for option D) Find a used tranny

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
At 340k miles I think you may have gotten your moneys' worth out of it. I would say good bye old friend.....

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Yeah idk what more you can expect, 340K is an amazing lifespan for a vehicle in general. You're up against economics on this one. The engine probably has a lot of life left in it still, but the money you'd spend replacing the transmission could buy you a complete working car with lower miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Texas here, but I've seen that this pick-a-part in VA does an all you can carry :D I would imagine you could find a trans-axle for $40 there? make sure to stretch first!

All You Can Carry Sale - Pick N Save

I also just checked but there is no LKQ pick a part in VA...but if you feel up for a drive memorial day weekend is 40% off which makes the tranny about $88.20 plus tax and $3 entry fee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Each to his or her own, I would never drive a vehicle till it had that many miles on it, but if you enjoy trying to get some miles on it--go for it.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
Each to his or her own, I would never drive a vehicle till it had that many miles on it, but if you enjoy trying to get some miles on it--go for it.

Good supply low miles well equipped, no rust vehicles out there.

I just bought '03 SEL, "granny car" super clean well maintained, one owner, no smoker. Had to go ~180 miles south to get out of the rust belt.
Pic attached not mine, just for reference.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all your help guys. I've decided I'm going to tear the tranny apart, replace the broken bits, and replace all the clutches to improve lifespan. I might pop by that pick n save junkyard or one I found in chesterfield for a used one as a parts tranny. I'm more likely to pop by that pick n save junkyard because their stock includes another car that i need parts for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts