Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving for about 45 minutes on the highway, and finally reaching a light. I get this BIG lag when starting up again. I have to push the pedal farther and then I get a surge from the engine like something is not 'catching up'.

I've changed the trans fluid by my mechanic but this happens only when it's warmed up and especially on hot days.

I don't want to mention the BIG LAG when the AC is on....it's takes forever for the car to get some speed....you can hear it race and then finaly catch up based upon how far the pedal is pushed.....I just rarely use the AC on HOT days so i can get where I'm going in time.

Any thoughts by anyone?
Thanks for your anticipated help!

Mikey ;)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Well a big cause of it is that the A/C is on. The A/C is a big drag against your engine.

Let me guess, is this the Duratec engine (DOHC)? This issue has been raised by a few other members before. It's a somewhat common issue for the Duratec engine in Hot weather. The condition you are referring to is called Heat Soak IIRC. You can do a search for past threads that have discussed this.

Check the following link: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5851

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does the engine get HOT, as in overtemperature? Or just normal operating temp? Need to know this first.........

You'll need to see if any trouble codes have been stored by the EEC, and which ones they are. Just post 'em here, and that will get us pointed in the right direction.

BTW; if NO codes have been stored, this is valuable information in itself. It points to a lot of areas that we don't have to look.

Edit: Your profile said 1995 3.2L SHO, which I believe is pre-OBD-II.

Do you know how to pull the codes up on your car? If not, here's a site that can help:

http://www.dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
What engine do you really have anyway?If its a GL trim you wont have a 3.2 Yamahammer unless its a transplant. Chances are you have a 3.0 or a 3.8 liter engine. The Duratec wasn't around til 1996.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I'm willing to bet he has a 3.8 because mine did the same thing even after the trans rebuild. One thing that helped was gutting the cats. They were extremely clogged and generated an enormous amount of heat that kept burning wires going into the trans and caused poor performance. It felt like a :banana: was in the tailpipe.
From what I was told by other members is that it is a torque converter lockup issue. There isn't anything you can do about. The converter lockups up when it's supposed to regardless of how crappy it feels.
Propably not what you wanted to hear but I don't know what else to tell ya.

-Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
As you'll see Micky, I've had the same problem with my duratec and have replaced every sensor, plugs, wires, trans. rebuilt. and today put in a new fuel pump and STILL the problem persists. I hate to admit defeat but it's about to get me. Have a couple of more things to try before giving up. Heck, I'll soon have a new car at this rate!!! :p Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was wrong about the engine....it's a 3.8 and that's about all I know from the stamp on the top. BTW it was rebuilt at about 30M miles. Ford footed the bill. I'm not exactly sure what they did but it seemed to run OK after that. They didn't do a complete rebuild but it took around 2-3 weeks for the dealer to get it back to me. The bill came to around $3500. Thanks ford. Hope that helps.

Mikey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts