Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the waterpump yesterday, a pretty straightforwad job, not that tricky at all. When I did a shakedown to see that I got everything right It started to get HOT, very HOT! It pushed boling cooling water out of the right side of the radiator (right side, when standing in front of the engine, so I have the waterpump on the left side).

What to suspect? The water thermostat? I noticed that I didnt get any warm air in the cabin.

Or - fear of fears.. did it build pressure? Should I suspect an blown headgasket? The engine oil (on the stick) is brown, but the filler cap is milky white..

Please help! Need an starting point to begin from.. :headscratch:

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat is bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the thermostat is bad.
Looking in my Chilton workshop manual (page 3-51/52), it looks rather accessable on the side of the engine. I'll remove it tomorrow and have a look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Can't tell by looking. Thermostat in my 69 Cougar was stuck and it looks like new. I replaced it and it no longer overheats.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I replaced the waterpump yesterday, a pretty straightforwad job, not that tricky at all. When I did a shakedown to see that I got everything right It started to get HOT, very HOT! It pushed boling cooling water out of the right side of the radiator (right side, when standing in front of the engine, so I have the waterpump on the left side).

What to suspect? The water thermostat? I noticed that I didnt get any warm air in the cabin.

Or - fear of fears.. did it build pressure? Should I suspect an blown headgasket? The engine oil (on the stick) is brown, but the filler cap is milky white..

Please help! Need an starting point to begin from.. :headscratch:

o.k here is what i think it is try the head gasket but verfi it is before starting the job. i had the sideds of the radiator blow out on my t bird years ago when the head gasket went. also milky white is a sign of the water getting in to the oil so do a compression check with a compresion gague. if anyt thing do a rebuild and check the t-stat direction could have been this that caused it to blow the head gasket being in the wrong direction.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Its not uncommon to have some water build up in your oil, just from condensation. A little milky white on your cap is for the most part ok, but you do need to change the oil now for sure to remove that. The condentation happens when a warm / hot engine is parked and it gets cool in the evening. I have had it happen with no problems before. The brown / dirty oil, again, change the oil.
I would agree, change your t-stat, sounds like its stuck closed. A cheap and somewhat easy fixe. The only PITA, you just had the system drained and should have changed it then along with your hoses. When I do a water pump, I always change the t-stat, hoses and add fresh coolant after a quick flush with everything open. Lets just hope its not your head gasket.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, you can't check a thermostat by just looking at it, but when you drop it in a pot of boiling water and look at it, you CAN check it. At a rolling boil, the thermostat should be fully open.

Milky color in the oil and big plumes of WHITE smoke coming out of the tailpipe, are classic signs of a blown head gasket. I would also go and pull out a spark plug or two, if coolant has come into the combustion chamber, the spark plug will turn stark white.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you can't check a thermostat by just looking at it, but when you drop it in a pot of boiling water and look at it, you CAN check it. At a rolling boil, the thermostat should be fully open.

Milky color in the oil and big plumes of WHITE smoke coming out of the tailpipe, are classic signs of a blown head gasket. I would also go and pull out a spark plug or two, if coolant has come into the combustion chamber, the spark plug will turn stark white.
I tested the thermostat and it was ok. So I started to pull plugs, #4,#5 an #6 was ok. But as I suspected where the most inaccessable the ones that where wet. #1 was slightly wet but #2 was as wet as if it would have been dipped into water :banghead:

So now I'm off to eBay to score some gaskets.. I get a complete kit online for what I get a single headgasket here in sweden :cry:

The waterpump (as an example) costs 170$ in store here, on eBay I got one for 16$, with all taxes and transportcosts included it still only where 85$. :mellow:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow up question: Should I get new headbolts as well? I know several european cars that have "strech bolts" that one cannot re-use. But how is the trusty Vulcan contstructed? :huh:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Follow up question: Should I get new headbolts as well? I know several european cars that have "strech bolts" that one cannot re-use. But how is the trusty Vulcan contstructed? :huh:

ya replace them you need to, they are torque to yield bolts.at least they are on americam and canadian cars according to my book.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup, always replace head bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, and there are 8 per head... My local dealer lists them at 4$ a piece, not to frightening.. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts