Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

Short and sweet, I think my driver side CV axle needs to be replaced after some thought but I want others opinions as well. I have a tick, sounds like a bicycle, coming from the driver side CV axle. It gets louder and faster with speed and you can especially hear the sound bouncing off walls and fences and even other cars next to the car.

I jacked the car up in neutral and spun the wheels and it's on the driver side. It's about an inch past the entry hole of the transmission where I can hear the noise. It does not make this noise at all in reverse (spinning the wheel backwards), and does not make the noise on the passenger side.

The CV axles are splinned and have a clip at the end of them that hold them in place when installed. I'm thinking it could be that? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The inner C/V joint has rollers in it to allow axial movement. these rollers have needle bearings, that when lubrication dries out, will become noisy. Axle shafts are very inexpensive these days, and is within the capability of most driveway mechanics. DIY!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inner C/V joint has rollers in it to allow axial movement. these rollers have needle bearings, that when lubrication dries out, will become noisy. Axle shafts are very inexpensive these days, and is within the capability of most driveway mechanics. DIY!
So essentially just yank out the CV axles and slap in a new pair?

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
This sounds familiar--there might be a "tick or ping sound" TSB on this that I couldn't find on first shot. Might be worth a search before you go wrenching--good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts