Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please watch this video, and if you have heard of it already pass it on.

This is a danger to us all! I found out i had 12 year old tires at the time of my accident!! :blink:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Are you sure your tires are new?

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
I knew about how to tell the date of manufacturing of a tire, but had no idea that they could come apart. I run my two sets of tires each year, and they usually last me 7-8 years. Never worried about it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
When buying new tires I actually had the distributor say an older tire was better, because the rubber curred and the tread then was harder, lasting longer.

BS! I insisted on tires 6 months old or less.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Wow, I just went and double checked my tires, they were made in 07, that's about when I bought them anyway. I always tend to grab the latest type of tire and I remember Goodyear had a shortage of tripletred tires due to some strike so I knew that they had to be recent, but just double checked just to be safe. Some of those tires in that piece looked like some pretty old design.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
hi,

I always use Goodyear, gotta have the blimp behind me !

My last four sets came from Walmart online ordering.

I now use the Eagle since Walmart stopped selling Regatta II.

I replace them at 45K or so and I rotate them every oil change.

Goodyear has a plant here in North Carolina so I know they
are fresh, they always have that new rubber scent !

regards,

james

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm stopping buying my tires from walmart and buying them from tirerack. Then mounting them and balancing them myself at the base autoshop during lunch.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Trucks have that happen a lot; retreads throw the tread. Bias ply tires are real bad.

Last winter I was driving the jeep on a set of tires from 1994 ... the jeep was a 2004. Winter tires only though.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
yeow! i new about the age thing and now i know how to read the code will check my tires now
[/b]
Mine are from the 41st week of 2006... PHEWP!

I just checked my Fusion... Instead of being a number at the end of the DOT it says "VJLX"... WTF?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Trucks have that happen a lot; retreads throw the tread. Bias ply tires are real bad.

Last winter I was driving the jeep on a set of tires from 1994 ... the jeep was a 2004. Winter tires only though.
[/b]
I still think retreads should be banned. I don't care how much money they save...they're dangerous.

The tires on my Taurus are '07...the tires that were on the Fiero when we drove it back from Columbus were from 1998. Those are gone :lol2:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
I still think retreads should be banned. I don't care how much money they save...they're dangerous.
[/b][/quote]

I agree! I end up having to move those treads out of the middle of the highway often because if I dont, no one will. :glare:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I agree! I end up having to move those treads out of the middle of the highway often because if I dont, no one will. :glare:
[/b][/quote]
That and it's not exactly fun to share a piece of road with a semi that loses one. I've seen too many of them come apart to ever be pro-retread :lol2:

One of those is what took out my old fog lights two years ago...it broke one and left tire marks all over the bumper, and I came off best of the three cars that tire got. They can do a lot worse than that, obviously.

Stupid road laws in action...I can't tint my windows, but trucks can drive on retreads that damage other peoples stuff, create road hazards, and cause accidents! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
That and it's not exactly fun to share a piece of road with a semi that loses one. I've seen too many of them come apart to ever be pro-retread :lol2:

One of those is what took out my old fog lights two years ago...it broke one and left tire marks all over the bumper, and I came off best of the three cars that tire got...kind of a "wtf was that?!?" moment when it's dark and rainy out. They can do a lot worse than that, obviously.

Stupid road laws in action...I can't tint my windows, but trucks can drive on retreads that damage other peoples stuff, create road hazards, and cause accidents! :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Agreed, I was driving my friend's Fusion and a semi pulled past me doing twice the speed limit, his second axle, left outer wheel exploded and shredded. He jerked into my lane and I was just able enough to pull the car off road (at 65 MPH) and around a road sign, and back on the road. My friend was glad we were in the fusion instead of the blazer, otherwise i probably wouldn't be talking to you guys now. :noes:

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
yeow! i new about the age thing and now i know how to read the code will check my tires now
[/b]
Mine are from the 41st week of 2006... PHEWP!

I just checked my Fusion... Instead of being a number at the end of the DOT it says "VJLX"... WTF?
[/b][/quote]

You have to check the other side of the tire. In the piece it says that the number is usually on the inside part of the rim so you'll have to crawl on your hands and knees to see it. For the front tires, I was able to crank the steering wheel to one side and was able to see the inside of the tire.

Two of my tires are mounted so that the numbers are on the outside rim and two are on the inside. I'm tempted to take it back and tell them to remount the tires correctly, but then again you don't want to break the bead on the rim of the tire too often so I guess I'm not going to bother.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts