Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car to pep-boys today. I needed an oil change and one of my tires had a nail-puncture.
After an hour or so I paid, got the keys and left. Pulled over to check the tire and whadayouknow...the nail is still in the tire.
I take it back, they apologize. Another hour later the tire is finally fixed. I get home, open the hood and guess what... they left the coolant reservoir open (cap was somewhere in the engine compartment). So I look further and noticed that they apparently topped off my coolant. Nice, but they totally overfilled it. And it comes worse....they topped it off with ORANGE coolant (GM, does not mix with our green stuff)......
WTF???

J

·
0 Posts
:eek:

They mixed Orange and Green??? That is VERY BAD from what I've been told! I would make them do a full system flush with the right stuff ASAP! :unsure: Definitely does not make me want to go there...

·
Registered
550 Posts
As I've said before... PepBoys SUCKS!!! Total amature hour! You'd have had less
hassle & probably paid less(in the long run) by going to the Dealer... not to mention
it'd have been done right. Anyone in my shop who did something so stupid,
wouldn't be there very long! The Owner, & Service Manager wouldn't allow it!

D

·
0 Posts
I'll do you one better...

Pepboys has my brakes all jacked up. While I was in Iraq my wife got the front struts replaced. They broke something on the ABS ring (her words) and replaced the whole axle. The Idiot light still comes on and I have no idea if the ABS will even function properly.

This of course was a few months ago so I don't know if I have any real recourse but I will go see them next week and try the "Pissed off husband" routine.

The way I see it, I should go to a Ford dealer and get an estimate to fix the entire thing, then take that to PepBoys demanding compensation or that I will see them in court. Pep Boys supposedly fixed it once but as I said it's not acting normally and it burns me to no end. These are the same clowns that replaced my radiator once and didn't get the tranny lines put back properly causing tranny failure within like 2 weeks. My wife forgot that I told her to stay away from that particular store.

Welcome home, me <_<

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did call the (asst.) manager and he said they "should've known better". I concur.
So...I'm going to take it back tomorrow for a flush. Hopefully they get it right.
The problem is that these guys never just do what you ask of them. They always throw in extras like topping off fluids or rotating your tires. It's nice, but it creates even more opportunities to screw up. Like that one time when they threw in a free tire rotation. Except that I had just rotated the tires two days before that, which essentially placed them where they had been originally. Not helpful!

S

·
0 Posts
HOLY SH*T! WOW... Damn, I work for pep boys... and damn, this is the third thread I have heard of things like this. Im brining it up with the main district! Not acceptable!

Sal

·
Registered
959 Posts
This sounds like the kind of crap that happens at Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart stores up here... we don't have Pep-Boys (yet), thank god.

I've heard nothing good yet about them.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
How come so many people take their cars to Pep Boys? Aren't there any real auto shops in your area? Around here we have so many shops it's hard for people to choose which to go to. Luckily my girl is a GM at a shop so I have my connection. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
the muffler i had on my 95 when we bought the car is one of those pepboys cheapo mufflers with the lifetime warranty, nick noticed when we hacked it off. well i decided to put on a dynomax we had sittin around and nick ordered a stock replacement just to have around cause we collect free stuff.. we guess what. that was AUG 30th. it is now OCT 11th and i finally get a call saying its in. Ive gone there a few times to ask whether its in and all i got it nope. and i went on sunday and one of the guys is like "you should just buy a regular one" so i shot him a dirty look. why would i go out and pay for something when the one i have is a lifetime warranty. its just like. wtf. im not giving ur ****** establishment more business. thats the only reason ive walked into thier store. how does it a month and a half to get a muffler for a taurus? i dont understand.

oh, we used to have an old dodge minivan we took there to do lil things on when it was winter or we were too busy. we went in to get something changed. and we came back to pick it up. nothing we ordered to get done was done. they changed the tires all around on it with new ones. a different minivan that needed tires ended up getting all our maintnence work done to it. how do u mistake red and green. and when u grab the keys and stuff? some people are truely morons.

we do most of our own work now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update...
I went back to pep-boys today. The assistant manager I had talked to last night was not there at first, so I took it to the general manager. Get this...when I told her
that they filled orange coolant into a Ford she had to GET A CHART to figure out that that was wrong!!
The general manger of pep-boys was ignorant of something almost every backyard do-it-yourselfer knows!
It gets better...
so they promise to flush the system and put in green coolant. Thank goodness I was watching the mechanic, cause I saw him remove the coolant reservoir and rinse it out with water. That guy's idea of a coolant flush was to replace the fluid in the reservoir. :angry:
I had to complain to the manager again to get her to explain to him (he spoke no english) that a full flush was expected of him.
Later one of the manager tried to 'spin' the story by claiming that cleaning the reservoir would have just been the beginning of the procedure and that the mechanic had planned to flush the whole system all along. B.S., because I had seen the managers argue with the mechanic earlier. He had no intention on flushing the system.
Oh boy....
never go to pep-boys again!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
with all the stories of bad shops (esp pepboys lately, lol), i'd be terrified if i didn't know as much about my car as i do and heard these stories. :/ i'm upset at a shop still because i had a nail in my tire from the wreck that they never took care of, even though i mentioned it to them each of the 3 times i had to take it in before they finally had a rental car set up for me

no offense sal about the pepboys comment, we know you know your stuff...and you can prove it by just parking the sable-sho in front of the store w/your hood up to prove you know what the crap you're doin as an employee ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I must say that Pep Poys dose have a record of having sub par service, but there are cases where it can work to your advantage! Case in point. I just purchased a 99 Sable LS Wagon. It had some wear and tear issues ie.. bearing, tires, allignment ect. Well first they said it was just the front right bearing. Fixed that, still had issuses. Then they said it was the tires which was a suprise because I had them rotate my tires when I got the bearing work done. They should of inspected the tire to find out that they had un-even wear. Got New tires. Still having issues. Now you may be asking. Whats the "advantage"? In all the sub par service they messed up and gave me an unautherized allignment! Needless to say I didn't pay for that. Then when I went back to get the tires, I was not too worried about getting the best tires they had. I told the guy to give me there cheapest tires they could for my car. He said fine and gave me my Quote and I also signed the work order. 30 minutes later I go to Pay and the guy tells me that he thought they had the 55,000 mi R rated tires in stock. They didn't so instead He just gave me the Top of the line SE touring TR 80,000 mi Tires for the price of the economies! Go figure!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
well, i have never taken my car to pepboys before, and after reading all this, I hope to christ I never have to!

A good mechanic is hard to find, or you can do it yourself. DIY is my favorite, cause if you screw things up, you have no one to be mad at but yourself! :lol2:

-Damon

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
They didn't so instead He just gave me the Top of the line SE touring TR 80,000 mi Tires for the price of the economies! Go figure!
this may seem odd from a customer stand point but some times we have to do the same thing at the goodyear I work at., they say ok here is your price and here is what you get, we go to pull it out of stock and oops we don't have it like the computer said (incorrect invintory). and rather than send one of your employes who you pay $8 a hour to drive 45min+ in a shop vehicle that gets 9MPG, so basicly the shop can spend 20 bucks to get that tire for you or they can gust use a better tire that is in stock.

basicly it usually ends up being cheaper to upgrade the tire than to send out for it. not to mention the customer having to wait a tipical +1 hour, so you can piss of a customer and spend more money or make a very happy customer and save money. sometimes you have to weigh the options. not to mention the salesman is probably too lazzy to find a store with the needed tires, call to confirm they have them, bla bla bla. i'll quit there you get the point

oh and

I saw him remove the coolant reservoir and rinse it out with water.
Later one of the manager tried to 'spin' the story by claiming that cleaning the reservoir would have just been the beginning of the procedure and that the mechanic had planned to flush the whole system all along. B.S., because I had seen the managers argue with the mechanic earlier. He had no intention on flushing the system.
I have a fact and a theory. the fact is that if the bottle was very dirty inside (sluge) or mixed coollant types that would be the best start for the flush procedure (we typacialy have to clean GM bottles because you can't see through them)

I had seen the managers argue with the mechanic earlier.
I can ALMOST gaurante this one. if the tech is paid flat rate this is most likely a "freebie" job for him meaning he didn't get paid anything for the job, he was probably pissed off about this so he tried to do a short cut OR and this is a big OR he was doing the job properly and since the fluid in the was "contaminated" so he cleaned the bottle out befor beginning the job when the no english speaking service manager came out to make sure he was doing the job right and he started yealling at him because he couldent understand him.

I lean more toward the first theory but would like to think it was the second

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a fact and a theory. the fact is that if the bottle was very dirty inside (sluge) or mixed coollant types that would be the best start for the flush procedure (we typacialy have to clean GM bottles because you can't see through them)
First of all..there was no sludge in the reservoir as I had cleaned it when I changed my water pump a few months ago.

Secondly...he only started messing with the reservoir AFTER he had fumbled around under the car apparently looking for the coolant dump valve. He never did undo the splash guard or open the valve. After a while of looking around, he gave up and proceeded to take off the reservoir.
The argument between him and the manager later on made it absolutely clear that he was not going to do a full flush and had been caught red handed.

·
Banned
438 Posts
My Pep-Boys story has nothing to do with their repair service ...

I needed to buy some items for my "just in case" space in the trunk of my '94 Bull. Quart of oil, gallon of antifreeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and windshield washer.

All combined was like $15 or so. I had over $100 in my checking account. Them idiots got a "CALL" when running my debit card - so they called and proceeded to cut up my debit card.

I THREW - yes - THREW the bottles of stuff at the cashier and the manager ... yeah I know not good ... but NEVER piss off a bastard.

Then in a coup d'grass I opened up the bottle of oil - back then oil bottles didn't have the foil seal like they do now - and slung it across the floor and walked out

I'm amazed they didn't call the cops on me. I went to my credit union and the manager there later called Pep-Boys corporate and found out it was "a glitch in their system" that gave them false information that I was overdrawn when in fact I wasn't. Just had to wait a week to get a new debit card in the mail :angryfire: :rant:

I've never been back to Pep Boys since, and refuse to step into their store. I'll go to the dealer. Ford's dealers have come a long way from the gouging garages they were in the past.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Frankly, I don't think it's the franchise, but the people they hire. One shop might be totally inept, and another might be first-rate. The inept shops tend to disappear rather quickly.

Earlier this summer, I needed the engine mounts replaced on my 1995 Sable Essex, and since I'm phsically handicapped, I couldn't consider doing it myself. Pep Boys installed the mounts I supplied, and they didn't squawk about using my parts. They did a good job, in a short time, and didn't gouge me on price, as the Ford dealer tried.

When my Sable was relatively new, I was deluged with mailings from our local Mercury dealer, and when they moved away, the Ford dealer took over their mailing list. I had one of the $9.95 oil & filter change specials offered by the Ford dealer, and the imbeciles over-filled the engine with oil. Oil was a couple of inches too high on the dipstick. Of course, the Ford service manager denied their "ASE Certified Service Technician" did anything wrong...

It isn't so much the franchise or the name on the sign, it's the people within that make or break a shop.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used to work for PB back when Manny still smoked a cigar. In fact, I was there when it was removed, PC advocates can shove it you-know-where.
Anyway, I remember the service manager hired one guy who's entire toolbox consisted of a flat and phillips screwdriver, a pair of vice-grips, and 1 pair of slip-joint pliers. He was to be the oil and tire guy. I was let go soon after.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts