Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend works for a small town PD. He wants to buy a 2011 Taurus, ordered from a dealer. The dealer has told him that he cannot order the Police Interceptor (Taurus) wheels on his civilian car.

Is there a workaround? Will the 18" police steelies work with the standard brake package?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's also a cop, but he is buying as a POV and not a department car. He just likes the steel wheel look. We just don't understand why, on a special order car, they are reluctant to allow him to specify the steelies. He may go dealer shopping if all else fails. Just trying to help him out by finding the part number, possibly a Ford policy that allows/prohibits the sale of police wheels, a possible work around.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm guessing he would have to pay for steelies. Just tell him to powdercoat the stock wheels black - they'll have the police look only nicer.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
well he could ask them how steelies are considered cop package.
tell them straight out either they order the rims he wants or he walks.

lots of dealers out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not illegal to order steelies. Just find the size and check around. Lots of cars use steel wheels, they just have hubcaps over them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I agree, he should shop around and use that as leverage.

My father even talked a Chevy dealer into putting AFTERMARKET wheels on a car at THEIR expense because they did not have the car he wanted in the color he wanted, with alloys. He refused to buy the car with hubcaps and made that a deal-breaker. They said they couldn't just switch wheels with another model, which I understand since options ARE printed on the cars' invoices and window stickers...so they bought an aftermarket set that looked close to the factory wheels to get the sale.

If you're tough enough, you can get any wheels you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts