Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Best water pump quality?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bannerj29 
#1 ·
I am hearing a very faint squeek from my engine. 2004 Taurus 3.0 with 140k miles on it, and I'm guessing it's the water pump. I was going to buy a Motorcraft pump but the reviews online say it's from china, just like all the other brands of pumps. Seeing how it cost twice as much as other pumps, do you think I should still buy it? Or is there another brand that would be made better? Anything else I should know when I'm replacing this part, like replace other parts at the same time? Thanks.\

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-P...&vehicleName=2004+Ford+Taurus#customerReviews

#2 ·
Good question? Thats why i buy cheaper things since its all made in China. I buy gates brand water pump on rockauto $25. Lasted me a little over 3 years before it went out. Water pump from or O'Reilly's Auto Parts lasted about a year. Also good time to change belt

#3 · (Edited)
Was looking at the Gates. It cost half as much as the Motorcraft and comes with a lifetime warranty.

I can get the Gates WITH a good Gates K060850 serpentine belt for around the price of the Motorcraft pump alone. Just worried about the quality of each.

Forgot how expensive the serpentine belts are. Wish I could find a Goodyear belt. When I bought the car I put one of the Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V belts on and it has been one of the best belts I've ever bought. Must be going on around 8 years now and no issues what-so-ever. They have a 100,000-mile guarantee. When I replace the water pump I will definitely replace the serpentine belt also.

#5 ·
I was just looking at the Continental Elite belts online. They list two belts for my car, a serpentine (4060817) and a water pump belt (4030267). I only see the serpentine belt. Is there another belt I need to replace that is hidden? Maybe that's what's squeaking.

#8 ·
I compared MC to aftermarket because of a premature failure of a GMB pump.
What concerns me is that your thread is from 5 years ago, and the Motorcraft pump is now made in china :(

It may not be the same pump that you bought 5 years ago. It appears to be the same model number though (PW505).

The one on eBay is almost $30.00 more than the one on amazon.

I might just bite the bullet and buy the Motorcraft one on Amazon. Main reason is when you said it had a shield welded to the impeller to increase pumping efficiency. I like that design better. If, when I receive it I'm convinced it's not the same water pump that you bought, then I will just return it and get the Gates. I have time to do more research because I won't be doing this for around another month now (when I go on vacation). I'll be doing ball joints, bearings, and outer tie rods as well.

#9 · (Edited)
Go ahead and get the gates pump, you'll be fine least a couple years. Water pump is a fairly easy job, as for something like ball joints not so easy! You'll probably want to spend more money on that for parts like motorcraft, but then again its made in Mexico or China so who knows??? Its like a winter jacket i brought, first the zipper breaks then the stitching starts to come apart, made in c or m..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.