Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get new tires for my SHO this week but I am not sure which to get. I want them to be better for grip I am not to concerned about wear but I am not paying a ton of money just because it is a performance tire.

What size/style do you think is the best deal?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
You need to tell us what you want to spend. It is hard to judge from your statement. I have many recomendations. Best grip. Bridgestone Potenza SO-3. Mucho $$$.

Are you ordering these from the web or are you getting them at a local shop?

I like the Yoko AVS ES100. Great middle of the road tire and very sexy tread design. Prob best bang for your buck.

I could go on and on. Put up some numbers and I will put in the rest of my 2 cents.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Smola97GL@Apr 18 2004, 07:11 AM
You need to tell us what you want to spend. It is hard to judge from your statement. I have many recomendations. Best grip. Bridgestone Potenza SO-3. Mucho $$$.

I like the Yoko AVS ES100. Great middle of the road tire and very sexy tread design. Prob best bang for your buck.

I could go on and on. Put up some numbers and I will put in the rest of my 2 cents.
Mucho $$$ I don't want to spend. If I get that hard up for traction I will buy drag radials.

I am going somewhere local but it is Canadian pricing which I why I didn't post a price range. But I am looking for under $200 each cdn unless I find a good deal.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris+Apr 18 2004, 08:21 AM-->QUOTE (Patrick Norris @ Apr 18 2004, 08:21 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Smola97GL
@Apr 18 2004, 07:11 AM

Mucho $$$ I don't want to spend. If I get that hard up for traction I will buy drag radials.

I am going somewhere local but it is Canadian pricing which I why I didn't post a price range. But I am looking for under $200 each cdn unless I find a good deal. [/b]
Last October I bought some Pirelli P7000's from Tirerack.com. I had them shipped to a shop not far from Lapeer and I had them installed when I went racing at Lapeer.

I payed $91 US a tire for them. Shipping was something like $25. I think when all was said and done I had them for about $135 Canadian a tire including installation. The best deal I could find locally was $175 a tire and that was through a friend and didn't include installation.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick Norris@Apr 18 2004, 06:53 AM
Oh yeah, I run a 225/50/16 on the gen III rim. The gen III rim is half an inch wider than the gen I/II rim so you may want to stick to a 215.

I went with the lower profile tire because the shorter tire gives a bit of gearing advantage for better 60 foot times. The Pirelli P7000's are supposed to be one of the lightest tires too. That's a pretty important thing to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im on my very first set of performance anything and i bought
Hercules G5000Z at 215/45/ZR17 and i paid 579 CDN installed balanced and including the little chrome valvestems =] thats like 129 CDN each tire + taxes (15% - dayum CDn gov'mt)

Anyways... they look nice =] they ride nice.. and i can take onramp that say 50km/hr at over a hundred without shatting myself

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Nitto Extreme 450s are very nice and pretty cheap at DiscountTireDirect.com. If I end up running stock size (225/55-R16) again, that would probably be my tire. If I stick with the shorter tires, I will probably go with Pirelli PZero Nero or Continental ContiExtremeContact (rated #1 and #2, respectively, in TireRack's customer survey.) These are all-season tires and all of them are under $100 each.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 1fast97+Apr 18 2004, 08:34 AM-->QUOTE (1fast97 @ Apr 18 2004, 08:34 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Patrick Norris
@Apr 18 2004, 06:53 AM
Oh yeah, I run a 225/50/16 on the gen III rim. The gen III rim is half an inch wider than the gen I/II rim so you may want to stick to a 215.

I went with the lower profile tire because the shorter tire gives a bit of gearing advantage for better 60 foot times. The Pirelli P7000's are supposed to be one of the lightest tires too. That's a pretty important thing to me. [/b]
The front has 225/60-16 on slicers right now and don't seem to have a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
BFG-GForce KDW's here. A little over $100 US each, bought mine from Tirerack.com last summer. Nice and sticky, don't look too bad either, and Z-rated - a must for good cornering

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I know is is an old thread, but the question is just as relevant for me now. I have a 91 taurus sho mtx and it's desperately in need of new tires. Unfortunately I live in Wisconsin and a bit strapped for cash so all out performance summer tires are out of the question. But with that being said I would like some type of sporty tire for her. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should buy?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sorry I know is is an old thread, but the question is just as relevant for me now. I have a 91 taurus sho mtx and it's desperately in need of new tires. Unfortunately I live in Wisconsin and a bit strapped for cash so all out performance summer tires are out of the question. But with that being said I would like some type of sporty tire for her. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should buy?
This thread is almost 10 years old. I would assume the majority of whoever contributed to this thread in the first place are no longer active on the forum and thus anyone who could hopefully answer your question would have to read through the thread to see what has already been discussed. A better idea would be to start a new thread or use the topic finder to find a thread that has more recent and relevant information.

That being said, I would definitely check local tire chains to find an inexpensive set of all season tires. Being that you're in Wisconsin, all-seasons are a good idea all year round. Discount Tire Company and Walmart have inexpensive tires. I'm not buying from Goodyear again out of principle, and I haven't had any experience with Tires Plus.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It might be an old thread, however it lets me know that others have used 225/50-16" tires.
I'm considering using this size tire on Jaquar S-type rims (16x 7"), because it will correct my speedometer and odometer error.
Currently, I have stock 205/65-15" tires and wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.