Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Taurus SE (with the Vulcan and 77,000 miles) and have noticed that the suspension feels a bit "mushy" (for lack of a better term).

I have driven a car (not a Taurus) with bad shocks and struts and the car doesn't bounce or feel like that one did.

My old Crown Vic got the Bilstein shock upgrade and afterwards, it felt like a sports car! The Bilsteins were the hardest shocks I could buy for the Vic. Is there something similar I can do for the Taurus?

I saw something on here about there may or may not be a rear sway bar on the Taurus.... Is there a way to check (without a lift) to see if my car has one or not? If it does, what is the stock size, and what is the recommended size to stiffen the ride?

Is there such a thing as a front sway bar? Again, if there is, are there upgrade options?

Basically, I am looking to stiffen the ride to the point where it feels like it will ride on rails. :D

Thanks for all of your help in advance for this Taurus newbie!

_erin

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
KYB strut plus, the kind with springs pre-loaded, will firm up the ride. I had them on all 4's on my old '07 Taurus, it rode better than when new.

Forgot to add, a non-SHO Taurus will take massive steering and suspension upgrades handle like it's almost on rails, but it will never handle like a true ricer, it's too big and heavy, and the platform is not rigid enough.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Depends what your requirements are for suspension upgrade.

For better handling in corners I would recommend 1st, 2nd or 3rd Gen SHO sway bars. I've got the 1st gen sway bar on my car and the car feels like its on rails - 1997 Sable LS.

To handle loads or more weight (stiff config.) I believe Monroe makes a "Quickstrut". The Quickstrut configuration comes with a new strut combined with a new and in my case a stiffer spring. This will stop the "saggy" look in the rear for most sedans. Wagons I believe actually have a shock for the rear. I see a lot and I mean a lot of saggy rear ends on Tauri / Sables. Makes me wonder if the owner knows what the fix is?

The combination of the two items above makes for a stiff ride very pick-up like. I've gotten use to it but hey I can load up my Sable with a lot of weight without the saggy look, increase ground clearance and keep the sway in check all the time.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Rear sway bars were deleted about mid model year 2004.
I have a later model year built 04 Taurus Sport with the tec and it has no rear sway bar!! :angry:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Ive got an early-build 99tec with rear swaybar, dual exhaust and od off button on the shifter. My late-build 99tec has none of these things. Downsizing?!
Rumor has it you may be able to add the rear sway bar provided you have all the hardware from the previous car. But I'm not 100% sure either since I don't own a '99 model. There has to be "cut outs" in the unibody to mount the rear sway bar brackets. Carefully look at the rear rails of the unibody for a thin oval shape and not to far from that a hole where a nut is welded within the unibody rails.

If these two items are there you're golden. Go and find a rear sway bar and mount it. The brackets from the rear sway bar will indicate how large and shape the holes need to be. This will give you a good idea what to look for on the unibody rails, if you haven't found them.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The bolt holes are still there in the unibody. Even the last of the 07s still have the holes in the unibody. Unsure if strut tabs are there (they are gone on latter built Gen 4 rear struts), I would believe they are if they are factory, as they were only throwing rear bars on 99 Sport models, even late builds.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I still say the adjustable bars. You can have the best aftermarket struts, sway links and everything else, but if you cannot adjust camber and toe to where it doesn't wear the tires, it's all useless. You have to remember you'll only get "so much" adjustment out of those bushing type adjusters.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The strut tabs are NOT there on the cars that aren't equipped with rear sway bars, so you'd need struts that have the tabs, which the KYB rear struts do.

The best initial upgrade for you, with the floaty-boat Gen IV suspension, would be to get KYBs with Gen III SHO springs. I used to have a chart that had the spring codes you wanted, but I can't find it...IIRC, you're looking for JAR and RAN code springs. Torrie from Fast Parts Network used to have all that information handy, but I'm so out of the Taurus/Sable game, that I have no idea if FPN is even still around.

After you've got that done (and I'd say do it at the same time as the struts and springs, grab aluminum subframe bushings (cup type, not ring type) and install them. If you're really ambitious, at the same time, install upgraded sway bars. You can find information about what bars are available from what car here. The heavier Gen III and IV cars benefit from the 24/26mm combo from the Gen I SHO, but that might be a little harsh for every day driving. I had that setup on my Sable, but didn't use it on my SES Sport, because I didn't care for it to be THAT stiff.

JR

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah, don't really feel like I need to do them, but I'm scared the spring is going to break on me and I have a tendency to speed on the highway....found some good prices for the Quickstruts on Ebay, will probably end up with those over the KYBs.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Is there any problem with replacing front struts without replacing the spring? I am pretty sure that the shop that replaced my front struts with Gabriel Ultra reused my old spring. Right now, the nose dives just as before on heavy braking.

BTW, what would be the best strut/spring combo for the rear to cure the sagging rear end?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It's a staple Taurus feature. Ford used weak springs that are not up to the duty of the heavy car. Gen 2 rear sedan cargo coils and whatever strut you prefer seems to make for a great combo. Use Motorcraft upper strut bearings.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Check out the prices at Rockauto. I think the Monroe front quick struts are only 122
each. At that price is it not work Fing around with the OEM struts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.