Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i know this is a terrible title for this question but i just want your guys opinion. I have done alot of research on subs and speakers and i recently installed infinity kappa 682.7cf's in my 1996 mercury sable staionwagon. these speakers are great so far but they dont have quite the bass im lookin for. Im lookin at getting either one or two subs but im lookin for quality because i want it to be able to hit those low notes but still be accurate and give good sound, what do u think is the best company for quality subwoofers, my price range with amp is around 400 if that will help.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
well with that price range ill go ahead and tell you that youre not going to get top of the line stuff, but im sure you will get enough bass out of whatever you get... ill let someone else tell you about what would be best because im kinda biased on my kicker subs, but they were $620 with everything

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh i know that, but idk im stuck between weather i wanna just spend enough to get the bass i want or if i want t spend enough to where it will really hit, like i was thinkin of gettin a single kicker 12" cvx with a kicker 750 watt amp. but this all depends where u are looking for prices, like if ur looking at crutchfield its completley different from looking at onlincarstereo.com. like im not planning on getting a JL 12w7 or anything i just want decent bass u know. maybe a single alpine type R 12?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
well a CVX and a 750 watt kicker amp is not gonna be cheap

and you might be better off with two CVRs unless you need to trunk space... IMO i just think two subs is better than one, even if they equal the same wattage (ex. one CVX 12= 800 watts and 2 CVR 12s= 800 watts)

·
Registered
257 Posts
i got dual bazooka 10in subs with a 300W amp from circuit city. they installed it with 2 ga (i think) wires, 3 fuzes and it sounds great! lots of power and couldnt see out the rearview window. NOW i have alot more components tied in and the sideview mirrors are about to fall off :D

p.s. parts and install from circuit city was 500. that included all the wires, fuses, relays etc

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 12" Audiobahn Sound Q's and I love them

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
For a station wagon, you shouldn't need a big sub or even dual subs unless you really want big boomy bass. A single 10" sub will work great as long as it's matched to a good amp. Even something like an Infinity Basslink would work great.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
That's exactly what I would tell you. I had a 12" Infinity sub in a ported box in my Sable, and when I put the system in my new Taurus, I'm going to go with dual 10" subs. I prefer a tighter bass note, and 10" subs sound better for rock, if you ask me.

JR

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
That's exactly what I would tell you. I had a 12" Infinity sub in a ported box in my Sable, and when I put the system in my new Taurus, I'm going to go with dual 10" subs. I prefer a tighter bass note, and 10" subs sound better for rock, if you ask me.

JR
[/b]
:werd: my two 10" CVRs are deep and loud in rap songs and they hit hard and sound great with rock music and if you turn them down a little they sound good with country :)

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
You can get a set of JBL Power series for a decent price. but with your budget, your more looking at either subs or an amp, not really both at the same time, since u still need to get an enclosure etc.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i upped the price range to about 650 give or a take a bit, now im lookin at 2 JL 12w3v3 at 4 Ohms each and an alpine MRP-650 to power both of em. sound good haha

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,049 Posts
FWIW: I bought 2 Kicker CVR 12's for $150, a used Kicker KX800.4 amp for $170, built a box for $40, and it's louder than you would want.

Lookin' for a single 12 on a budget?
Kicker ZX400.1 amp: $136.50 Shipped
Kicker CVR12 Dual 4-ohm: $79.98 Shipped

Amp is rated for 400w RMS (usually under rated) at 2ohms
Sub is rated for 300w RMS

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Why not match it up to your other stuff? Get a 10" Infinity Kappa Sub, put it in a ported box, and properly power it. If you get some top-notch stuff, it'll blow your ears off quite good. :horns:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are infinity subs good? and yeah im thinkin i might get one JL 10W3 cause ive heard nothin but good stuff about them

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Most anything made by Harman (JBL, Infinity, Harman/Kardon) is good stuff. The reference and Kappa subs from infinity that I've heard have sounded incredible. Nice accurate bass, and can really rock.

JL...well, I like their amps (for the most part), but their speakers or subs have never impressed me. I out-bassed 2 jl w3 12's with my single JBL 10. The guy wasn't happy about that, especially after badmouthing my JBL sub.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Infinity Basslink II - available for around $200 on line - I have one in the trunk of my 97 SHO. If you are looking for tight, musical bass this is the way to go. If you are looking for booming, unnatural bass in order to impress those outside your vehicle, get two 12" in a box and a 700w amp.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Look on your local craigslist and you should be able to find a bangin system for 400 bucks if not cheaper. Sometimes there are desperate ppl needing cash that will sell there audio equipment for cheap.

Example....2 12inch Kickers in a box with 800 watt Alpine amp - $350

2 10 inch Audiobahns in a ported box - $80

2 12 inch Soundstorms in a sealed box with 600 watt amp - $170

I could go on and on. It all depends on where you live though. Being that its Southern FL here there is a plethora of car audio going around. Buying used not always the best thing to do but what the heck right? People buy used cars everyday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok ive decided im gonna stick with the infinity Kappa series and get two 12" infinity kappa 1-4 Ohm subs. Can anyone point me in the direction of a flat out 700 watt at 2 Ohm Amplifier. And with this i am also going to have an amp for my component speakers. since the amp for that is an alpine im to have to get a converter that is gonna take the line level lines and convert them to RCA which are gonna be plugged directly into the alpine amplifier. how am i gonna wire it so i get the best sound, would i want all the bass coming from the subs. in case you are wondering its the Alpine PDX 4.100 amp and no i didnt pay 500 for it, cut that in half haha. Any help would be awesome. Oh and do infinity products normally live up to their RMS raiting?

·
Registered
594 Posts
infinity is very good stuff. From what i heard JL is the only ppl who are certified ratings for there stuff...were everybody else might fudge the numbers a lil..but sometimes the under rate it. Reason being if you think you have 500 rms speaker you would never put more that 500 too it..so if you make a speaker be able to take 550 or 600...then it will never blow(with in reason) and you will get good reviews on that end of it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts