Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What, in your opinion, is the best subwoofer price vs. performance. I am getting ready to upgrade, and have been out of car audio for a while, so I dont know the top dogs anymore. I am lookin at Lanzar, though.

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Moving to Electronics, Security, Audio and Visual :) Sorry, I have no idea, I love music, but the stock MACH does ok for me. I am sure others will post their opinions :)

G

·
I preffer going to Antonie's Deli for Subs.... damn they are good *sooo goooood*
But "Little Richies Bakery" also sells some good one too.

Both on the block of 1st and 42nd st.

LOL sorry, saw the topic and I just had to

SableSal

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Polk makes some good subs, at a good price too. The MOMO series is what you want. Check circuitcity.com for prices.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Audio Bans are nice. I dont know much about systems but U pay for what you get so ya.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I got my rockfords for a good price, and no dissapointment over here.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I have never had any problems with my 2-Kicker comp vs.
AND they are American made :banana:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wanna blow out the winshield and make the roof buckle at 150db. :blink: Eclipse or PPI. Hi-end stuff thou.

For a more reasonably boom JL Audio or Kicker CVR's or Kicker solobaric.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I have two Eclipse 10" DVC subs in my car.. they cost 90 bucks each at my local car audio store.. i am running 425watts RMS @ 14.4v to them...they sound very clean, and hit tight and hard...excellent subs IMO. I turned up my pioneer headunit to 40/60, and had the equallizer set at the "natural" preset... took it to a mic at the car audio place.. it hit 135.6db... and this is w/ the subs towards the front of the trunk and not back.. id guess if i turne dit up higher, and set the equalizer to like "super bass", moved the subs back i would be closer to 140db... and remember this setup is more for SQ than SP.. so i am very impressed with these subwoofers..esp for 180 bucks :D

Jesse

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Jul 20 2004, 12:08 AM
I have never had any problems with my 2-Kicker comp vs.
AND they are American made :banana:
DITTO.... Have a pair of 15" Kicker Comp VR's and they have been great! :banana:

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, I know lots of people with Kicker Comp Vr's, had a pair myself, they are pretty good, but I dont think i want Kicker. I do like the audiobahn's, PPI, and am going to listen to the Lanzar's this weekend. They are supposed to be like the new JL W7, but without the pricetag. Still expensive though.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
To ask someone what the best subs is kind of dumb. Each person can provide their particular opinion on this, but in the end it comes down to how much you're willing to spend, what kind of music you listen to, and most importantly, what sounds best to you.

I personally prefer Audiobahns or Infinity's, but that's just me. I like them because they are good all around subs...tight for when you're listening to rock, and booming for rap.

My advice: go to a Tweeter, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. and take a listen. Also, the best places to go to hear different setups are small shops, because they typically have equipment that isn't sold in larger retailers, such as Audiobahn.

JR

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know you said you wanted to look at something else but I will just put a plug in for Kicker Solobarics. I had a single 8 inch square solobaric in my old Towncar driven by a Sony X-plod 800 watt mono amp and it slammed.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats why I asked "in your opinion" Godspunk. I want a big selection of what everyone had tried and liked when I do go to shops to listen, I have a couple to compare between. I REALLY like the audiobahn and Infinitys also. I had a pair of 10" Infinty Perfects in my last car, and for some stupid reason, let them sell with the car.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
P.S. Godspunk, not trying to be rude in above post. Just dont want to pay $700 for a system, and then have somebodypull up to me and blow me away with their $300 system. Thats why I asked

·
Registered
746 Posts
that is a pretty broad topic there... best for SPL, best for SQ, best for a small box, best for a ported enclosure, best for getting loud with little power, best for looking bling??...

lots of options out there and you kind of need to narrow down the question alot.

and bco1206, it takes a minimum of 160 Db to break glass. 150 wont do it, it will shake the roof a tad, but breaking glass and bending metal is an extreme that happens at 160+, nothing less.

and im sorry, but i feel compelled to add this:
JL Audio. A little pricey. But great 
they dont make anything good. their best sounding woofer is the W6v2, and it cost too much, it can be outperfomed by products costing half as much. the rest of their products dont sound good, and they dont get loud(and yes this includes the coveted W7). you wanna see overpriced and overhyped, look no further than JL

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Yeah, you'd really have to narrow it down a bit. Pick a price range, how much you want to spend, and your primary objective:

1. GET LOUD
2. Sound quality
3. Get somewhat loud while still sounding acceptable
4. Just look cool, sound crappy, and not get very loud at all.

Remember the higher in price range you get, the more you can have. And it is better to buy one better subwoofer than 2 mediocre ones.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In order of importance
1. Good Tight sound on rock
2. A little bit of bump for rap, not glass shattering
3. Overall price vs. sound

I can spend about anything, preferably about $300-$400 for a pair of "10's and I will probably put them in a abndpass or small box

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hmmmmm.....Dont go with Bandpass whatever you do. I agree with Hoss too, JL Audio is overpriced and not nearly as loud as say MTX's 9500 series, which are approximatly half the cost of the W7. Below is a good like for a comparison of the W7 and 9500.

W7 vs. 9500

And yes I have heard both subs in person, yes they were both the same size and yes they were both in a ported box. And I have to say that the 9500 stomped.

Oh, and Hoss, You have a PM.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts