Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm probably going to buy an Infinity Basslink within the next couple days and am curious as to what's the best location in the (rather large) trunk of a Gen4 to mount it. The spot on the right side of the trunk? How about all the way back by the rear seats? How effective do you think this subwoofer will be in such a "large" car?

Also, what would be the easiest/best hole in the firewall for me to use to fish the Power cable for the subwoofer through?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I don't know about the location in the trunk. I have 2 10" subs in my Gen III. They just kinda go where they fit.

There is a hole on Gen III firewall that I, and several others, have used. It is behind the master cylinder. There was a recent thread about it with pics. I'll see if I can get a link for you.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9217

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was checking out that location on my gen4... boy is it crowded in there. There are tubes and stuff coming out of the firewall, and then there is this cardboard/fabric insulator that runs along the firewall.

This'll be tougher than I thought :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
On the Gen III there isn't that much. It still helped to have 2 people. I had my father on the inside (I know I am mean, but he's much smaller then my 6' 300lbs frame in there...) to pull it through.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The one in the gen III is pretty large...I did it by myself, three days after hernia surgery. It's at least one inch by two inches. Large enough to easily fit 00 guage wire through...not that you'd need to with a Basslink, but you could.

As for the Gen IV, I've never taken a look under the dash of one. IIRC, someone said that they ran their wire into the wheelwell, and ran it through a grommet to the interior, near the kick panel. They then ran it through the channel near the door, but I'm not sure how they got it into the trunk. Mine was just pushed under the seat and up and around...that's the easiest way to get wires going places after you've just had hernia surgery....

JR

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Sep 1 2004, 09:09 AM
As for the Gen IV, I've never taken a look under the dash of one. IIRC, someone said that they ran their wire into the wheelwell, and ran it through a grommet to the interior, near the kick panel. They then ran it through the channel near the door, but I'm not sure how they got it into the trunk. Mine was just pushed under the seat and up and around...that's the easiest way to get wires going places after you've just had hernia surgery....

JR
That was me. Here's some pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Then from the engine bay into the wheel well, then through the gromet on the right. The cable will then fall down along the inside (cabin) of the firewall.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I then ran the cable down along the driver's side of the car and under the back seat. This was easy for me because I already had the interior out. You should be able to pull up the trim pieces and stuff it under the carpet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
As for position, thats up to you. Put it in different places in different orientions and see which postition sounds best to you. Personally I would start with it in the back behind the wheel well so that it was out of the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts