Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a new better quality C Clamp to do my front brake job pushing the caliber piston back when installing new pads....

I am wondering what the best length is for a C clamp so i don't waste my money going too big.

Also what is the best size on the end of the C clamp to be, about the size of a quarter? Larger, smaller?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
i just normally use a 4" standard C clamp... it works nicely for the job... it has about a nickel sized end on it, i think it would be better if it were considerably bigger, im sure somewhere someone makes a c clamp especially for the job, maybe even with the end shaped to the contour of the piston. to answer your question, a 4" will be perfect.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get a caliper spreader. Its designed for the job and works perfectly.
Unless you have a link for a reasonable priced caliper spreader i am more inclined to purchase a $10-15 C- Clamp that will get the job done. The ones i keep seeing on Google searchs are rather expensive.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no sales on the craftsman c clamps when i was there for the BF sale, so i guess i will go with the harbor freight C clamp , since it will get used very rarely it should last.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
This is the one I use. Especially on rear caliper pistons that need to be "screwed" back into the bore, they don't push straight in.
Caliper Tool Set for Disc Brakes
When I used to use a C-clamp (Craftsman 8"), I always put one of the old pads in front of the piston face to protect it and distribute the force of the C-clamp evenly on the piston while pushing it in.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
+1 on using the old pad initially on the outer face of the caliper piston. Thats the first thing i do after removing the wheel (after loosening master cylinder cap, that is).

·
Registered
619 Posts
I often apply the clamp to the entire assembly, before removing it from the bracket.
Depending on wear, it makes it easier to remove the caliper.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Unless you have a link for a reasonable priced caliper spreader i am more inclined to purchase a $10-15 C- Clamp that will get the job done. The ones i keep seeing on Google searchs are rather expensive.
As posted below they are fairly inexpensive. I just went to my local parts store to get it. Didn't bother with a search.

Goto AutoZone or Advance and buy this: Disc Brake Pad Spreader

$9 at my local store.
Similar to the one I got.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts