Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys im trying to smooth out my overly ford ranger throaty vulcan, i have a straight pipe with no 3rd cat, and id like to keep it that way for now, its no where near as loud as my old duratec.

anyways, i had a huge magnaflow resonator on my old duratec and i dont have the same confidence in the resonator on this car, not sure why but id just like to go a different route.

im open to all suggestions, i was thinking a small resonator with a large body like 4-6"

also, what do you guys think it would so like with no resonator and a flowmaster 10 series mini muffler in place of it?

·
Registered
374 Posts
To make the right muffler/resonator choice, you need to understand how they work. They are broken down into two classifications:

- Absorptive: Does not use any reactive elements (Tubes or chambers) in it's construction. Typically uses fiberglass or other acoustic fill material to absorb noise. Absorptive silencers provide very little noise reduction at low frequencies and should never be used as the sole silencer. However, they are very good at absorbing the high-frequency self-generated noise created by reactive mufflers.

- Reactive: Forces exhaust through a series of chambers, tubes and/or baffles to reduce noise. Typically will not have any acoustic fill material. The reactive process generates high-frequency noise.

With the two styles out of the way, you need to determine size of the muffler/resonator, and size DOES matter. The size plays directly into Insertion Loss, which is the reduction of sound measured in dB. represented by grades:

Commercial/Industrial grade: Pipe diameter = 2" to 2.5", Total length is 5X to 6.5X the pipe diameter. IL is 15 to 25dB lost.

Residential grade: Pipe diameter = 2" to 2.5", Total length is 6X to 10X the pipe diameter. IL is 20 to 30dB lost.

Critical grade: Pipe diameter = 3", Total length is 8X to 10X the pipe diameter. IL is 25 to 35dB lost.

Super Critical grade: Pipe diameter = 3", Total length is 10X to 16X the pipe diameter. IL is 35 to 45dB lost.

So your choice of no resonator and just a Flowmaster Super 10 would net a 10dB drop, when compared to running no mufflers at all, plus would produce a terrible high-frequency tone. This would also probably get you a lot of negative attention from the cops.

Another thing to consider is the length of the tail pipe, it needs to be short, very worst thing you can do is eliminate the tail pipe and get one of those fart cannon mufflers with the tip built on it. A properly sized tail pipe will tune out resonances left over from the final muffler.

Ideally, your exhaust system should be setup as cats-reactive muffler-absorptive muffler (resonator)-tailpipe.

Other things to consider would be side-branch resonators, which is an old plumber's trick to reduce pipe knocking, a section of pipe takes a 90-degree depart from the exhaust system. This pipe is a dead-end, but sound waves travel down this section, hit the dead-end, reflect and return to the exhaust system, but this pulse is now 180-degrees out of synch, which cancels out certain resonances. To hear or see an example of this, search for 'saclam'.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will take me a bit to process all of that, but no one has ever broken it down for me like that. U ARE THE MAN.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i want to leave the flowtech muffler at the back, it functions as either a reactive muffler or a straight pipe, so for this purpose im building my exhaust to leave it open.

so im thinking starting from where the 3rd cat was....flowmaster 10 series directly followed by a 22-26" magnaflow resonator then it has the whole axle back as a tail pipe basically.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so all you exhaust gurus that posted in my other thread, heres what im trying to decide.

What would the sound difference be if i were to use the stock exhaust with no 3rd cat and no rear muffler, and one of these in the middle:

MagnaFlow/34 in. L x 7 in. round body x 3 in. center inlet and center outlet satin finish stainless steel XL turbo muffler (13740) | Mufflers and Exhaust Systems | AutoZone.com

MagnaFlow/14 in. L x 9 in. W x 4 in. H oval body x 2 1/4 in. center inlet and offset outlet satin finish stainless steel XL turbo muffler (13215) | Mufflers and Exhaust Systems | AutoZone.com

pretending that this muffler is center in center out:

i have a $100 autozone gift card thats why i link from that page.

I just not sure on a gen 4 vulcan what it will sound like, cheetos car had just the muffler (the 2nd one i posted) in the center with straight pipes and it sounded super mello despite have no resonator which is totally oposite from a duratec.

so let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
My system has a resonator and a pair of WickedFlows, which absorb all but the extreme low frequencies (as in barely audible but you can feel it). I have tried to do a couple video clips, none did it justice, the microphone just doesn't pick it up.

I do have to agree, multiple muffler types would provide the best of both worlds.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
My system has a resonator and a pair of WickedFlows, which absorb all but the extreme low frequencies (as in barely audible but you can feel it). I have tried to do a couple video clips, none did it justice, the microphone just doesn't pick it up.

I do have to agree, multiple muffler types would provide the best of both worlds.
C'mon, we all know it's those shark tooth tailpipes that are the secret!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just feel like the vulcan would be too quiet, i have no 3rd cat, stock res and a flowtech warlock and when the cutout is closed its very quiet and the intake totally takes over.

so if i used just one muffler, either one i linked above, which would be better for a smooth sound?

and what do you mean by the low frequencies exactly? is that the low end "burbling" that makes it sound like a truck?

·
Registered
374 Posts
My experience with the Vulcan and exhaust isn't on the Taurus. On the project truck, which has a Vulcan, while working on the exhaust, I left the intermediate pipe, muffler and tail pipe off for awhile, it was dumping out right after the double-cat that Ford put on the Rangers/B3000s at the time. It was loud and throaty, too loud, even in a southern town I had to keep the RPMs very low to prevent from getting noise ordinance tickets.

When I put the intermediate pipe and tail pipe back on, I put a Flowmaster Super 40 on it. At first I really couldn't tell a difference between the stock giant muffler and the Flowmaster. After it got broken in, I could tell a little difference. However if I were to keep the Vulcan in the truck I would go with a Dynomax race bullet muffler instead.

Back to the Taurus, my suggestion is, get the Magnaflow XL that is 2.25" in/out, mount it in place of the resonator, gut the 3rd cat, remove the factory muffler and put a piece of pipe in place of it for right now. Drive it and see if you like it. If you don't, replace the straight pipe section where the factory muffler was, with a resonator from Magnaflow or similar.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds good, thats what im planning, unfortunatly i have to straight pipe my flowtech warlock because the thing is rusted to crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts