Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
favoring, quiet, and value for the money on a 97 taurus 205/65 R15?

i dont want cheap crappy tires, but i dont want to waste extra money either

i had been a fan of original equipment Continental TouringContact, but now they only make (or i can find) Continental ProContact. I have 2 procontactss on the front, and i dont have the records handy, but it seems there things wear a LOT less miles than the Contintal TouringContacts used to

Years ago, i used to like Uniroyal Tiger Paws, the local wal mart has goodyear vivas fairly cheap

Since i already have 160k on the car (even though it's in good shape), i dont want to spend a premium for tires that could outlast how long i have the car

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
the Continental TouringContact were some of the worst tires ever fitted to the Gen 4 Taurus. Avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just put a set of 4 Goodyear Integrity's on my '93 3.8 GL Wagon...we'll see what they're like in the snow later this year, but they are quiet and give a great ride. I paid about $90/ea., which looks like a pretty standard price across the web at various retailers.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Ive ran the goodyear vivas and the douglas brand tires from wallyworld with no issues. Rubber might be a little on the soft side, esp. on the vivas. Both brands have been good economical tires, not top notch performance tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You get what you pay for. I just peeled out the extra bucks and popped a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Exalto tires on my Mercury Sable at wally world. Mounted and balanced I got the set of four out the door for about $575.

Nice smooth ride and quiet, an 80k mile tire, I feel is well worth the money for a quality tire that I won't have to replace for quite a while. If you're not getting quality, you're not saving money.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Remember, cheaper tires wear out faster and need to be replaced. Mounting/balancing tires isn't cheap anymore($20 a tire).
So getting a better set will work out in the long run!

I went with Michelin Harmony/Destiny tires. :)

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
tires

the Continental TouringContact were some of the worst tires ever fitted to the Gen 4 Taurus. Avoid them like the plague.
I second that!! i have had 4 tauruii with the original tires(conti touring cvontact) and all of them have gotten lumpy.
I just got a set of 4 michilen hydroedge greenX 225 60 16 from the new sponser here, discount tires on line, for $520 and i am very pleased with them o6 sel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Costco had a sale the other day for $70 off 4 tires and $30 off install. Got the Goodrich 60k mile tire. Has one of the highest rated treads for water and snow displacement. In MN, that's very important. Got the set installed, mounted, balanced and lifetime rotation and road hazard for $350.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I'm guessing you had 15" wheels TorAssDude?

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
I have had
good luck with Cooper tires..good value for the money. I had 2 sets of Lifeliner classic 2's, but they were discontinued. now I have Good Year's no problems with them either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had the OEM Contenentals for about 30K and they were really noisy and had severe cracking...

Replaced those with Yokohama Avid Touring-S ...rode much quieter...great life...have had them on for about 60K and still probably another 5-10K life in them...some slight cracking in rubber....I also have Avids on a Grand Caravan...they handle in the rain better with the Caravan...but a little sloppy in the rain for the Sable...

At this point I plan to replace them possibly with the Hankook Optimo H727 just to get something that might perform better in rain/wet roads.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
For me the best value I have found is the Goodyear Assurange FuelMax. They will save more money in fuel than the tires cost versus a standard tire. Plus they ride very quiet.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I put on a set of 215/60R16 Kumho Eco Solus HM KR22's at 102k miles. Took them off last week at almost 170k miles and they still had almost half of their tread left. They're not a performance tire by any means, but the dry grip is pretty darn decent for a high mileage tire with a 100k mile tread-wear rating. Wet grip is also good, though the one time they saw snow was a bit of a white knuckle experience. I paid around $450 for them with road-hazard. One of the best sets of tires I've ever owned. We just put them on my father's '02 'Tec and I'm sure they've got another 20k-30k miles left in them.

I replaced them with a set of 225/55ZR16 Kumho Ecsta SPT's. I'm sure they will wear much faster, but Holy Grip Batman!!! These things are sticky! Don't know about wet traction yet though, it hasn't rained any measurable amount here in months.

In my experience Kumho makes very good tires at a very reasonable price. I would at least check them out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts