Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just noticed my passenger speaker is blown and I want to get a replacement set for the fronts. I'm currently running the stock setup with a Mach AMP and non-Mach tweeters, but i'm not sure what the best speakers would be. I'd like to spend around $75, but if there is something nicer for a little more I wouldn't mind paying.

What would u guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Kickers

I bought some Kicker 6x9 for my front $60, put some Pioneer 6x9 in the back deck. The tweeters were still good on my doors. Using a used Pioneer CD 45w 4 channel. No amps. Sounds pretty clean for less than $120

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Any type of Pioneer 6x8's, you can probably pick up a set of 4 for less than $130.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Pioneers are pretty good bang for the buck, but I'm partial to Infinity now after installing a set next to my Pioneers.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
I have pioneer 2 ways along with the upper door tweeters.
Sounds good to me!
BTW, all tweeters are the same, mach or not!! :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I know what type (not brand) of speaker to get though? I see stuff about 'high' speakers, or ones with good mids, etc, but I just want one that is good overall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
get good mids as your tweeters will take care of the high side.

Having good mids will give some base as well so it will give a fuller sound.

Ian

·
Registered
36 Posts
you dont want 2 way ones just single as you have the tweeters.
but most kenwood would be ok.
not sure on prices in the usa but in oz theyy are great value for money.

Ian

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I have used the Kenwood Excellon 2 ways in my Mach setup, they work just fine, very impressive speakers. They have a nice kick to them, and because they have tweeters too, you get great highs that aren't drowned out by the bass. I'd go with those.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tweeters

So I would have the tweeters in the speakers and the oem tweeters too? Is that okay?
I would think that the extra tweeters in the 6x8's would allow for better imaging - They sounded pretty nice in my '97 with the separate tweeters. I think it would be more of a personal preference though. Otherwise, I don't think it'll hurt the amp or anything.

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Boston Acoustics S85 - 5" x 7" Speakers - Sonic Electronix

Good all around speaker. Wish i would have gotten these over my pioneers.
I was always curious if the smaller speaker would sound any different for a 6x8 hole - Since they don't seal. Though I have to admit, I've always liked Boston.....Had a pair of their PC speakers back in the day, and they rocked! Does anyone know if Bose makes a 5x7 or 6x8 for our cars? Might be worth it with a Mach amp!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used Pioneer TS-A6881Rs

Frequency response is good with plenty of base...

I've also wondered if it would do any good to get the JBL front speaker
mounts they used back in '96 and mount newer 6.5's in them.

For some reason it appears that about a third of the door speaker is
blocked by the door panel and if you look at the JBL's the speakers are
in the lower half of the mount.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Frequency response is good with plenty of base...

I've also wondered if it would do any good to get the JBL front speaker
mounts they used back in '96 and mount newer 6.5's in them.

For some reason it appears that about a third of the door speaker is
blocked by the door panel and if you look at the JBL's the speakers are
in the lower half of the mount.
Is the Frequency Response the same as the Sensitivity? For example: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1682 6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com - I know they're two way, but with a factory amp wouldn't they work? Remember, just an example. There's some with Sensitivity in the low 80-100db's!

With my doors, it looks like a 6.5" opening so when I browsed it was like "wtf?" mainly because I figured they were 6x8's all around!

BTW, I used Crutchfield since they actually include wiring harnesses - Making it truly plug and play, and since I'll save my factory speakers (Not blown, just.....CHEAP) in case I ever sell my car.....Which if it's like last time, I'll run it into the ground instead of selling it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
A typical cheap Pioneer or any other 3 or 4-way coaxial speaker is usually nothing special. I have a 3-way Pioneer TS-A6872R (discontinued and replaced with something similar) in the rear deck. It's dark sounding and handles mid-bass well. Highs and mids are kind of veiled/weak.

For the front doors, if you have lots of power, I'd prefer a component set. Otherwise, I'd prefer 2-way coaxial speakers because they usually share parts with the component versions of the same speakers, and they usually have at least one capacitor on them to split the frequencies sent to tweeter/mid. I recommend that you look for the following features:

1. 2-way
2. at least one capacitor (you can see it if there is a picture of the back of the speaker).
3. Relatively high sensitivity (90dB or more)
4. Top mount depth no more than 2-1/2 inches, because you don't want to hit the speaker magnet with a window.

PS: I have heard from Crutchfield.com video, that Alpine Type S component speakers may run ok off factory head unit power. It might be a good idea to look into that.. It should be better than most coaxial speakers that cost less than $100, and Taurus has tweeter mounting hole in the sails. You just have to replace the sail cover with a sail mesh off another Taurus.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I was always curious if the smaller speaker would sound any different for a 6x8 hole - Since they don't seal. Though I have to admit, I've always liked Boston.....Had a pair of their PC speakers back in the day, and they rocked! Does anyone know if Bose makes a 5x7 or 6x8 for our cars? Might be worth it with a Mach amp!
Bose's home audio gear is usually considered ridiculously overpriced. It's almost guaranteed that if you shop around you will find a better product for half the price. Bose has even less cred in car audio world. As far as I know, they don't sell any car gear. They just outfit certain new cars, for a ridiculous price premium.

I have a 6-1/2 mid in my front doors, mounted in a supplied mounting adapter. Before installing the speaker, I sealed with whole door, including the adapter area, with Dynamat Xtreme. Sealed door is always better. I don't know how it would sound compared to a 6x8 speaker. A lot of speaker models/brands simply do not have 6x8 versions. For example, I believe none of Alpine component sets come with 6x8 mids. That's why some people go with 6-1/2 mids in Taurus doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most of the Bulls took 5-1/4 or 6-1/2 (round) drivers in the fronts and 5x7/6x8's in the rear deck (after '96 they had 5x7/6x8's front and rear). The 5x7 and 6x8 is the same speaker (for two diff size mounting holes), a little smaller than 6x9's. Recommend: Polk MM series, should run you about 120- a pair. You can get the 6-1/2's either coax (tweeter mounted with midrange driver) or with the tweeter separate. It's the placement that makes it sound better. You really should use a good amplifier to drive them. Stock amps are usually pretty poor, underpowered (which is usually what blows drivers) and don't have enough current to drive the speakers to their potential.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts