Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my tranny flushed at Midas previously as i didn't want to tackle it myself. I do my own oil changes and a lot of other things but this i didn't wanna fool with....

So where is the best place to get my transmission fluid changed at? Is Midas okay to use or is there a better or maybe cheaper place with the same service?

I live in the Greater Cincinnati Area

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The best place is to do it yourself. Shops use flush machines that can cause damage to your transmission. If you still don't want to tackle it yourself, tell then you want them to drop the pan and replace the filter, then refill, but not to flush it. Or find a locally owners transmission shop that is willing to do a fluid changeout with the transmissions own pump.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you think it will be any more expensive to have them drop the pan and replace the filter? I bet a local transmission shop would be more willing to do that.

Last time i took it to Midas they said they sucked the filter clean so there would not be any seal leaking if they dropped the pan.

I would be willing to tackle it myself but after reading the write up in the pinned posts i am not confident i can find all the correct hoses without pictures.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Use it before you drop the pan so that when you change the filter you don't make a mess. Also, pan is nice and light with no fluid in it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Use it before you drop the pan so that when you change the filter you don't make a mess. Also, pan is nice and light with no fluid in it.
So do i stick the Fluid Extractor down the transmission fill port in the engine bay before i do anything?

And how much should that remove?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So do i stick the Fluid Extractor down the transmission fill port in the engine bay before i do anything?

And how much should that remove?
Just stick the tube in the fill port till it bottoms out and pump about 10 times. There's about 6 quarts in the pan, so you'll do this twice. Once you start sucking up air the pan is empty. Also, fluid should be cool.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are Motorcraft or Wix the best choice for transmission filters? I am assuming Wix is better but i might want to stick with the Motorcraft for fitment and oem specs?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't go wrong with Motorcraft.
I've read the guide and everything you said but i still can't find some answerws....

Namely the benefits of Mobil 1 Merc V vs. Conventional Merc V?

I use Mobil 1 Oil in my engine so i am assuming i get the same benefits from the Merc V, like longer change intervals and better protection from the synthetic product?

Namely i ask because Mobil 1 Merc V is very expensive for even a 1 gallon jug (5 Qt)

Also i still would like to see a picture of where i disconnect the hoses to the 5 gallon bucket maybe?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Synthetic handles high temperatures better. People here have suggested Wolfs Head synthetic Mercon V. Less than $5/Qt online.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Synthetic does handle higher temperatures better, but it does not last any longer. How long the fluid lasts is largely dictated by the amount of friction material that it contains. That tends to accumulate at a steady rate regardless of whether it is synthetic or conventional. The added heat protection is a nice bonus though. Just don't leave the fluid in there longer than 30K or so with either type of fluid.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Synthetic handles high temperatures better. People here have suggested Wolfs Head synthetic Mercon V. Less than $5/Qt online.
Thanks for the suggestion, i found a 12 pack of Wolfs head for $60, which is cheaper than Mobil 1 and 2 more quarts, so i will have extra.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I would go with Motorcraft myself. Personally, I won't let anyone besides myself and the dealership touch the transmission. I've seen too many scary things at "regular" repair shops to trust them with the most expensive part of my 16-year-old car.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
If you flush using the tranny pump (add 3 qt, pump until flow gets weak, add 10 qt, pump again, drop pan, change filter), I suggest you have 15 or 16 qt on hand.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone have a picture of where i disconnect the line to put in the 5 gallon bucket mentioned in the write up pinned at the top?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts