Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searching around, and found some info, but would still like a little more. . .I have an 03 SES, and the headlights in them are fine for suburban driving, but I have moved out to a rural area. . .the current bulbs are so bad, when i am on back-roads out here, I leave my high-beams on, and have yet to get flashed (and have passed the police with them on, without getting pulled over). . .point is, whatever bulbs are in the car now usually dont light up anything in the road untill I am on top of it, even if I am driving at 20-25 mph at night. . .so any bulb suggestions would be welcome (and no, I do not want to upgrade to HIDS)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have Silvania Silverstar Ultras on my bull, they light up pretty bright(brightest of all the ones offered by silvania) But keep in mind that this means shorter lifetime. YOu will have to replace them a lot more than you would on cheaper alternatives.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Replace the bulbs with XtraVisions or SilverStars (old bulbs dim with time), buy a headlight restorer kit and polish the headlights, and then realign your headlights (procedure in owner's manual). Finally, check your charging system voltage to make sure it's high enough (should be 14 volts or more).

Cloudy headligths with old, dim bulbs can really cut the light output.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
+2^^ Xtravisions are good and affordable. Polishing is worth it. Just did a set in my tuck this weekend. Live in rural Montana and the Xtravisions work great for me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Save yourself some money and polish the headlights with toothpaste! As long as they're not really yellow, they should come out looking almost new

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been running phillips crystal vison ultras for the past 3 years no issues, they have a solid blue tip but emit a nice white light, they are much whiter and brighter than stock bulbs but you will not look like a ricer at all, they are quite classy.

·
Registered
726 Posts
For me it's Sylvania standard or whatever is comparable. As long as your lenses are clean and polished, any decent bulb will work fine and do a good job. If you want auxillary light power then get a good set of driving lights (AKA fog) like Hella.

Fog Lights cheaper

Pricier

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you want the white look then go with the crystal vision ultras, they are noticeably whiter than stock but not blue at all.

I know pics are deceiving but here they are, parking lights are silverstars, which you apparently can't buy anymore, they are noticeably deeper orange.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
^+3 on the Xtravisions and 3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit (or the Sylvania kit).

One thing about the 3M headlight lens kit is that it does not include a headlight lens sealant for protection from UV radiation. There are other kits that come with it. It's usually written on the boxes (Sylvania kit has it I think). I do like the 3M kit more because it seems to be more "through" with effectively 5 polishing passes, each using finer grit size.

If 3M kit is used, I would recommend to apply this:

Blue Magic - Headlight Lens Sealer

I applied this treatment to my 12 year old headlights. They look much better now and night visibility is noticeably better.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I just spray rattle can clear coat after polishing and new Xtravison bulbs. Usually good for a couple of years.. Plus it is something to do too!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
So for how long to Xtravisions last, specially if you drive with light on most of the time?

I believe I have the original light bulbs still in my car. I guess the night visibility is ok, but I could upgrade to brighter bulbs as long as they have good longevity.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Rated life is 375 hours vs. 1500 for the standard LL bulbs. So I think that would be about 15,000 miles of night driving, or a few years for most people.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just picked up a set of sylvania zXe Xenon headlamps. Very bright white light. They provide much better illumination going down the road and a little payback for all those guys with HID lights that always blind me!:rolleyes2: Also installed a set of sylvania silver star bulbs for the brake lights to make them brighter. Lastly I got a set of Putco 360degree LED replacement. Bulbs for the back up lights. They are much brighter and are more white than the regular incandesants that seem almost yellow. They really help to see out the back at night.
Oh yeah, the toothpaste works great! I have an 04 and the lens look spectacular now.

I was thinking of installing some driving lights. Does anyone have any suggestions for locations of the lights and switch on an 04 SE sedan?

Thanks
Lux Man

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Luxman, can you post a pic of the ZxE's turned on

I went with xtravisions, and they are about a 30 percent improvement over what my lights were, I think they will be mid way decent if I aim them up a tad

1 - 20 of 23 Posts