Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to bite the bullet and pay up for a code scanner. I know I can go to almost any auto parts store and get my codes scanned for free, but sometimes the car can't make it to the parts store and I'd like one with the ability to see what is going on while you are driving.

I am looking for a good deal, but I don't want to loose out on good features.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been looking around for one as well. I'm looking at one to do OBDI and OBDII. I haven't decided on a particular one yet, but I think I'll be getting one through Amazon. From what I've seen so far, they're prices are the best.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I got mine from OBDpros.com. It's a USB interface that I use in conjunction with my laptop.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a ScanGauge II installed in my Sable. Gives you four instruments displayed which can be changed on the fly, moved to any of the four positions on the fly, and codes can be read on the fly plus a "ready" acknowledgment! Great product and I still have the ScanGauge I which is larger than the newer series and does not have the adjustable colors, but has all of the other features the newer version offers. Had it hooked up to my 96 Taurus with the Vulcan motor. Also, great for keeping track of mileage and has a built in trip computer that has more features than the display offered on the later gen IV Taurus/Sable cars. If interested, I still have my original Scangauge I, which is for sale. Just make me an offer and you too can keep an eye on things like ignition timing, water and intake air temperature and throttle position among other reported parameters.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
QUOTE (jndejure @ Jun 24 2009, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734957
I have a ScanGauge II installed in my Sable. Gives you four instruments displayed which can be changed on the fly, moved to any of the four positions on the fly, and codes can be read on the fly plus a "ready" acknowledgment! Great product and I still have the ScanGauge I which is larger than the newer series and does not have the adjustable colors, but has all of the other features the newer version offers. Had it hooked up to my 96 Taurus with the Vulcan motor. Also, great for keeping track of mileage and has a built in trip computer that has more features than the display offered on the later gen IV Taurus/Sable cars. If interested, I still have my original Scangauge I, which is for sale. Just make me an offer and you too can keep an eye on things like ignition timing, water and intake air temperature and throttle position among other reported parameters.[/b]
I am interested in your scan gauge I. Email me with the specifics.

bob

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see a ScanGauge II in my future.

The original Scangauge I sounds like it will work just fine. I will try to find one of those.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I use an AutoXray EZLink for OBDI and OBDII. It's an older, discontinued model now, and AutoXray offers both scanners and coder readers for use with OBDI, OBDII, and CAN. AutoXray's Customer Service was just about the best I ever had contact with, before the company was bought up by Actron, and moved to another state (was located in AZ before). I have needed anything for years now (the EZLink has been bulletproof), so I can tell you anything about their Customer Service now.

You can get AutoXray Code Readers and Scanners for between $20-$300 from many Sellers on eBay, and many locak auto parts stores (AutoZone, Kragen/Oreilly's, NAPA, etc).

You should visit the AutoXray Website to get an idea of what's available, and what the different models can do before buying. You don't want to buy a code reader or scanner that doesn't work on your car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have finally settled on the Actron 9185.

Does anyone have this scanner? It is much more expensive than the 9180, but it has a cool graphing feature.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts