Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the Best Buy "certified technicians" install my new stereo/cd player that i bought from best buy in my 2003 taurus SES. Everything appears good for a week or so. Then, I go to start my car on sunday morning, and the check engine and transaxle light(blinking) go on. Then I notice the trans is shifting very hard. But I find out from the owners manual that this is a trans restriction because of the transaxle light being on. The car is still under factory warranty so I take it to the dealership. So I get the call today from the transmission guy at the dealership saying that the engine codes are comming up as electrical problems, and its due to someone tapping into some wiring harness. This has to be related to the radio install. Since this wont be covered under warranty(problem caused by aftermarket modifications) my question is will Best Buy pay for this? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Best Buy will fix it. The leason we've learned today... DONT EVERY LET BEST BUY INSTALL ANYTHING. the fcuked up my wiring to the point my power window and locks fuses would blow daily. BEST BUY, WORST INSTALL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So are you saying i should not let the dealership fix it, and bring it to best buy? Or will best buy reimberse me for the repairs?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had my Pioneer Head Unit installed at bestbuy. The manager of the car audio department actually did my install and he did a pretty good job... everything works pefectly and it's been about a year.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would have the dealer write down what is wrong and then take it to Best Buy. I would not pay the dealer for anything and then take the bill to Best Buy without asking them first if they will cover it. I would call Best Buy, tell them what the dealer said and then ask them what to do but don't get anything done until you make sure someone other than you are paying for it.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree with beamout. Although, you should look at your sales reciept with the installation, as well as any other material that came with the install. They might have a disclaimer, stating that they are not responsible for problems with their installation.

JR

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mmmmmm....same problem with the transaxle light-and I did change out the Factory cassette for a FACTORY CD player. But that was a mopnth ago

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Moral of the story: Friends don't let friends let Best Buy or Circuit City do installs (unless you personally know someone there who knows what they are doing). Learn to do it yourself, or go to an audio shop that has real installers.

G

·
Get a description of the problem in writing from the ford dealer. It needs to be concise to the problem and describe everything that is wrong. You need to put them on the spot as well to make sure they aren't b$ing you. For situations like these, you should get managers at both shops (ford and bestbuy) involved and whatever they say get it in writing.

IIRC with radio installs on 96+ tauruses, you need to run a harness all the way to the back of the car to tap into the speaker lines.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
XLSuruaT, you are correct. A giant wire-loom needs to be run to the trunk to bypass the factory amplifier and control unit. You also need to run the antenna extension to the trunk.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
i dislike best buy as well, but its close to impossible for them to mess anything up, ESPECIALLY because you have to run wires to the trunk. All harnesses are used and no wires are taped.

The dealership is most likly being a PITA and you should go kick there asses.

Why dont you have the dealership tell you what the codes are or have autozone do it for free and then let us know so we can help decipher whats wrong!

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Also....have you checked ALL the fuses? I know it sounds stupid, but alot of times a fuse pops for an unrelated circuit and causes various lights to come on. Also disconnect the battery and let it sit for 30 min and reconnect it. That could solve it as well, as best buy may have disconnected the battery during install.

If buest buy did somthing wrong, it would have shown up immediatly.

Brad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I got my car back from the dealership. According to the mechanic that fixed the car someone tapped into a wiring harness that fed into the engine and trans, and installed some type of fuse adapter for an "aftermarket accessory"(the radio) and used the wrong ampage fuse, which was causing the circut to short, and the engine lights to go off.

My cost: $111.82

Should i go to best buy with the bill? I have what the mechanic said in writing.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I would go in there and speak to the Dept. manager. Be very calm and polite. Don't go in there accusing and threatening. My bet is he would take care of it. If he doesn't make sure he knows that you will take this up the chain of command and he really doesn't want to deal with all of the inquires he gets from above.

If he won't help you do exactly that until you get to the CEO of Best Buy.

btw I think Racer X works for one of those chains maybe he can give you a little insight as to what they usally do concerning customer complaints.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Working for Circuit City i can tell you this...

They are self insured as ive been told. So nicely present the bill to them and explain what happened. They will and should replay the bill. Make sure that the company that did the repair gives a DETAILED description of exactly what they repaired and you should have no problem getting your money back.

Brad

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Jul 13 2004, 05:29 PM
Moral of the story:  Friends don't let friends let Best Buy or Circuit City do installs (unless you personally know someone there who knows what they are doing).  Learn to do it yourself, or go to an audio shop that has real installers.
I resent that comment. That shows you have no f'king clue what your talking about. All the installers are professionals with training. I cant tell you how often i have people come in to repair "DEaler" installs, and local audio shop installs.

The local shops are usually the worst.

The comment "learn to do it yourself" Well, thats a joke because thats another thing i gotta constantyl deal with...kids blowing you their car for "trying to do it themsleves".

Brad

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO+Jul 16 2004, 09:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Baby SHO @ Jul 16 2004, 09:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-golovko@Jul 13 2004, 05:29 PM
Moral of the story:  Friends don't let friends let Best Buy or Circuit City do installs (unless you personally know someone there who knows what they are doing).  Learn to do it yourself, or go to an audio shop that has real installers.
I resent that comment. That shows you have no f'king clue what your talking about. All the installers are professionals with training. I cant tell you how often i have people come in to repair "DEaler" installs, and local audio shop installs. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, um... I work for one of those two companies. Professionals with training? :unsure:

It's more like, "well, you seem to know what you're doing, so I'll let you have a go at it and hope you don't do something silly like wind the XM antenna wire around the steering wheel. Welcome to [company's name]!" :blink:

Talk to your friends who have systems (that work and don't throw warning lights) and go there. You'll thank yourself. :thumb:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Man,those people at those giant stores dont know what the hell they are doing. Just be glad you didnt have the asshats at Circuit City do the Install. You wouldnt get out of the driveway before your ride burned to the ground.

Hey Brad, {{{{{finger}}}}} LOL just kidden Bro.

Seriosly,just take the bill into the store,ask for the store manager, tell him the problem, show him the receipt,done. He should make good.

G

·
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 16 2004, 05:40 PM
The local shops are usually the worst.

The comment "learn to do it yourself" Well, thats a joke because thats another thing i gotta constantyl deal with...kids blowing you their car for "trying to do it themsleves".
What do people usually screw up the most? I just spent 30 hours to rewire & install my new stereo in my car and so far everything runs great, but further knowledge on the subject won't hurt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts