Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Some people online say you can buy Duralast pads from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty and return them after they are worn down for a new replacement set free. Others say the warranty only covers defects. I bought Duralast for one of my cars a few years ago and will probably try it when I need new ones, but I think it's YMMV.

Pads and rotors are something I'm willing to pay a little more for to buy locally, for easier returns just in case. They are high volume items for local auto parts outlets, due to standard sizes and fitments, and they are often on sale, so I usually go with a higher quality option (gold, platinum) store brand.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lots of great pointers here everyone thanks! My rotors are still original, and I believed they were turned once already (maybe about 10 years ago when car was about 10 years old with 80k miles or so). Now it has over 210k miles. The only place around me that says they'll do it is NAPA and they charge $35 each rotor! I will take them by and have them measure the thickness. If it's kinda dicey, I'll just buy some new ones on Rock Auto, not the cheapeast...probably will try the Wagner ones Automender mentioned here. I'll try those thermoquiet pads too. I've replaced pads on other cars before and used either Bosch from RA or Duralast from advance. But I've never actually bought replacement rotors before, just had resurface done. It definitely seems like not too many places want to do it anymore. I called Meinke and offered to pay for the machine work and buy pads from them but they refused to unless I allowed their mechanics to do that whole job, would be closer to $800 then!!! No way for a car this old!
My recommendation would be to replace the rotors, pads and caliper brackets with 2000-up parts. This will require 16" wheels. The calipers are the same between Gen 3 and 4, but with the larger rotors, the stopping effectiveness and durability is vastly increased.

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SE Vulcan @ 131,500
423 Posts
I spent sometime searching for OLD threads on " warped rotors ", found quite a few within last 20 years. So, it's a very common problem.

I have an '01 Taurus that needed new rotors. I made sure that I did not get the cheap "made in China" rotors. I bought rotors at Advance Auto and they were made in Canada. Everything was fine, but lately, after about 5000 miles, the steering wheel shimmies bad when you apply the brakes. Warped Rotors Again

So I replaced my pads on my front brakes and turned my rotors about 6 months ago and it seems like they're already warped? Warped Rotors??

These are the ultra premium rotors and not the cheaper thinner ones New Rotors Keep Warping

2002 Wagon 3.0 OHV SEL . Vibration when applying brakes. Front. Seems no matter name brand rotors or cheap China rotors - they warp over time. Warpd Rotors - Warped - Why?

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
233 Posts
Ford motorcraft number is BRR 68 or BRR 196 are the correct rotors for the front of your Bull, they are not expensive, look them up on Amazon or eBay, that's where I got mine and nothing beats the OEM parts for the brakes and as far as the pads go, get the ceramic, lasts the longest and stops the best with no annoying brake dust on the wheels. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Been using Wagner rotors f/r on my wagon and drums on the sable both '99s.
I replaced the edpm caliper and pin seals on both front calipers, the originals lasted and no leaks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can't believe what I just found online just now, is this for REAL ??

Motorcraft® brake pads installed, $99.95 or less, or redeem 20,000 FordPass™ Rewards Points. *
Join FordPass Rewards today by downloading the FordPass App. ** Members earn 10 Points per $1 spent on service visits.
EXPIRES 06/30/22

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ford motorcraft number is BRR 68 or BRR 196 are the correct rotors for the front of your Bull, they are not expensive, look them up on Amazon or eBay, that's where I got mine and nothing beats the OEM parts for the brakes and as far as the pads go, get the ceramic, lasts the longest and stops the best with no annoying brake dust on the wheels. Good Luck
Are you talking to me or 99taurusguy ( already moved on ~ last seen June 9 ) ?

That's the Motorcraft part# for 2001 Taurus Motorcraft Brakes & Brake Parts for Ford Taurus for 2001 for sale | eBay

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put Raybestos R-line pads and rotors from Rock Auto all around on my Buick regal Turbo and buick LaCrosse. About the best name brand deal i could find. 1 about 18 mos ago, the other less than a year. Both have developed an annoying squeak on 1 wheel and the older set of fronts has developed a mild warp i can feel under braking.
I dont know of any brands of rotors anymore that have enough meat on them to last thru a resurfacing...

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I put Raybestos R-line pads and rotors from Rock Auto all around on my Buick regal Turbo and buick LaCrosse. About the best name brand deal i could find. 1 about 18 mos ago, the other less than a year. Both have developed an annoying squeak on 1 wheel and the older set of fronts has developed a mild warp i can feel under braking.
I dont know of any brands of rotors anymore that have enough meat on them to last thru a resurfacing...
Are they solid rotors or vented, solid rotors will warp and squeal, vented rotors are hard to warp and you have to put good pads to stop the squealing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I put Raybestos R-line pads and rotors from Rock Auto all around on my Buick regal Turbo and Buick LaCrosse. About the best name brand deal i could find. 1 about 18 mos ago, the other less than a year. Both have developed an annoying squeak on 1 wheel and the older set of fronts has developed a mild warp i can feel under braking.

I don't know of any brands of rotors anymore that have enough meat on them to last thru a resurfacing...
Funny though, mine NEVER had typical brake " squeaking ". My car's problem was first " very bad brake pulsation " occurred in early 2021 and now the 2-month NEW rotors warped that's causing metal-on-metal impact noise when brake to a complete stop.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Funny though, mine NEVER had typical brake " squeaking ". My car's problem was first " very bad brake pulsation " occurred in early 2021 and now the 2-month NEW rotors warped that's causing metal-on-metal impact noise when brake to a complete stop.
You may have a seized/frozen caliper that is keeping pressure on the rotors and they warped, look at the wheels to see if you have a lot of brake dust on one or both of them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You may have a seized/frozen caliper that is keeping pressure on the rotors and they warped, look at the wheels to see if you have a lot of brake dust on one or both of them.
A lot of " brake dust " on passenger side front rotor & rear drum ( driver side front & rear ~ just light sprinkle ) . Posted 2 photos in this thread #28 & #29 2001 ♉ SE front suspension general questions

·
Registered
233 Posts
A lot of " brake dust " on passenger side front rotor & rear drum ( driver side front & rear ~ just light sprinkle ) . Posted 2 photos in this thread #28 & #29 2001 ♉ SE front suspension general questions
Okay you have a bad caliper and rear piston. I, personally, would replace all 4 pieces to make sure that the problem (and pad and shoe pressure) is taken care of. The rear pistons are out there, but the front calipers will probably have to be remanufactured (just as good), remember when you are dealing with stopping the car, OEM is the best and safest way to go. Remember replace in pairs so all braking is the same pressure. Good Luck

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
416 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm looking to replace the brake rotors on my 1999 taurus later this year. I have never bought new ones before, just resurfaced them when installing new brake pads/calipers years ago.

I was looking on RockAuto and there are ALOT of brands: Centric, FVP, Bendix, Wagner, Durago...

I don't need any fancy performance rotors, mostly flat/highway driving. Do you all have any good experience with any of these brands? Or any other tips when looking at rotors?

Thanks in advance
I don't put a lot of miles on my car, but I used a company called Brake Motive (ebay purchase). I used them for a previous vehicle (2006 GMC Envoy) and have had no issues so far. The price seems fair as it includes shipping. I think 4 rotors and semi metallic pads for my wagon was $160-$170.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts