Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i used cheapo autozone pads when i did my brakes back in october or whenever, and now with my chrome rims back on i have to clean them every 4 days or they are GROSS! and this didnt happen with my previous pads (dont remember what kind they were)

im ordering the drilled/slotted rotors on ebay (strickly for looks i know) and id like to get the best brake pads possible. i heard that there are "dustless" brake pads but havent been able to find any.

what should i use?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't know what they are and didn't read the info but with that type of ad I'd run. You should go for ceramic pads as they will cut down brake dust.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Ceramic pads have the least dust.
I've got a set of EBC green on and they stop great but black dust is killing me.
I'm going back to ceramic due to the grime.

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
The premium pads from autozone (the gold ones, ceramic) have been serving me well for years with extremely low dust. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had Wagner ThermoQuiets ceramics for a bit over a year (20,000 miles) and I have been very pleased with them.

You can get them right now at amazon for $40 (free shipping) and you will be eligible for a $15 MIR, to bring your total cost to around $25...which isnt bad for a good set of ceramic brakepads.

Theses are the ones I have on my 2001, I would suggest you check the fit for your car:
Amazon.com: Wagner QC598 ThermoQuiet Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set: Automotive

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Also thumbs up on ceramic pads. Slotted rotors will not make a difference with dust levels. I don't think slotted rotors will help you unless you are having problems with rotors warping because you have to brake downhill a lot.

·
Registered
562 Posts
+1 on the Hawk pads. I've had two different sets of ceramic on my car (Autozone the first time and NAPA the second) and they were good on dust but not very good on braking. The last set left so much crud on my rotors I thought they were warped. I put on a set of Hawk HPS pads and the braking is much better, the rotors cleaned up, and have not noticed any increase in dust on the wheels. I also don't fee the fade that I did with ceramic.

*just to clarify, my 2000SE has the non-ABS smaller front rotors and needed all the stopping power help they can get.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I think I'll try Hawk pads on my next brake change. I know that poor braking feeling you are talking about. I know they cost a bit more, but from the stories you guys are telling, it sounds like they are worth it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
With my non abs setup and my Satisfied Brakes pro Ceramics i always lock up my rotors before i can reach full braking. Hopefully it won't be as bad with higher temperatures, the cold does bad things to all season rubber.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah, ceramic pads make the least dust and the least noise. And if you want FORD pads that are ceramic, don't get Motorcraft brand, as they are semi-metallic. You have to ask for the OEM pads, which come in a brown box with a Ford FOMOCO label.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I used the Adaptive One pads from Napa. They were quiet, did not dust up my wheels, and had more stopping power when cold than the pure ceramic pads that came on the car new. Ceramic pads usually stop poor until they warm up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts