Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sounds nice! But more than what I'm willing to spend. After all, I only spent $3000 on the car itself :p

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The lights in your photo aren't even DOT legal due to lacking orange reflectors, so...good luck with that.
Took a closer look at them, they (claim) to be DOT compliant.

Also, you can see a cutout where the amber bulb would cause it to glow orange when the lights are on. Tried doing more research but just finding conflicting info on weather this is sufficient.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Side_marker_lights_and_reflectors

Wikipedia doesn't say whether there has to be an amber reflector as well as the amber bulb. HOWEVER, every vehicle that I have owned that used an amber bulb in the front side marker that was attached to the headlight, had an amber strip at the side of the light body. My '95 Taurus uses a lens that is clear at the front, but amber on the side, and uses an amber bulb. My ex wife's 1990 Taurus used a similar arrangement. My 1991 Sable did, too. My Rangers all had amber lenses. My 2004 Focus had an amber lens. My 1989 Topaz used an amber lens.

I suspect that the amber reflector is so that when lights are off, an approaching vehicle can still tell where the front of the vehicle is.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Got a pair TYC from RA today. Packing and condition look excellent. Comes with harness and bulbs. When I switch, I plan to do it in my "apartment" garage which has no windows so I can do a look on the wall for alignment
and also do a light meter compare to OE. Will post when done. Sylvania Bulbs.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
TYC from RA in '03 Taurus. OE had been rubbed out with rubbing compound few days earlier OE had Sylvania Silver Stars. In the new HL, left is Basic Sylvania as supplied, right I moved the Silver Star over to it.

By measure peak output in my modified light meter, ~150 OE, 350++ with new HL. Meter goes to 350 but the needle goes past to the peg. I used strip of masking tape over the meter head to tone it down. Should have done a bit more so as to stay on scale.

Taurus is a bit of a pain. The bumper cover traps the fixture so I had to pull the push pin and pull the cover back to get the lamps out and in.

-chart-

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts