Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I was looking into replacement headlights, just to customize the look of my gen 4, but I'm having a heck of a hard time finding anything with good reviews.
I bought these from DNA Motoring, but the retaining ring doesn't even come close to fitting, and looking into it further, they seem to suffer from condensation and poor adjustment.
Sadly, the only good ones I found look the same as the original. Anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
TYC has the best aftermarket centennials, or they did. No aftermarket headlight is going to match the pattern of OEM exactly, but they're better than average.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TYC has the best aftermarket centennials, or they did. No aftermarket headlight is going to match the pattern of OEM exactly, but they're better than average.
TYC? Sorry my brain is a bit ethanol poisioned right now

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like, again these are all replicas of the original, I want something like in my photo

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
The lights in your photo aren't even DOT legal due to lacking orange reflectors, so...good luck with that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
? The should glow orange when the lights are on tho. Both my mechanic friends say they're fine. 'Course they from California and Florida, Pennsylvania is a bit wierd

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Because the Sable has orange reflectors integrated into the front bumper. On the Taurus, they’re integrated into the side of the headlight housing (same with the Gen 6, actually).

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Pennsylvania law is irrelevant - we’re talking about federal DOT regulations. On the Taurus, that means reflectors in the headlights, and that means almost all third parties are going to produce DOT compliant lights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought both a left and right headlamp assembly for my 2000 SE from Rock Auto. They are different manufacturers (one is TYC) but the both look identical. Both of them work well and neither of them were expensive. Well worth it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, but those still just look like the original.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, been thinking about this, and I wonder if its possible to dismantle and swap around parts between the headlight assemblys. Say, the black housing from DNA/Speed Daddy/whatever, and the internals from OEM. Is this possible without ruining everything?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Message Evolution AutoWerks on Facebook, he builds custom projector head lamps out of the stock ones for around 500 bucks. That's your best bet because not only does it look cool, but he gives some customization options AND the light output is dramatically improved.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing