Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Best Aftermarket head unit for 13 Taurus

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  The White Falcon 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience installing a tablet style headunit in their gen 5th-6th taurus?

I am getting no sound from my headunit... everything else works fine (AC, NAV, etc..). After taking it to Ford they said it could be one of two things... the amp behind the unit blew or the headunit itself went... either way its going to cost me an arm and a leg to fix it...

I am considering installing a aftermarket tablet style headunit but im concerned about several things
  • AC controls
  • Phone set up
  • and rear view camera
Looking for some thoughts and opinions.... should I bite the bullet and take the car to ford or should I play with the idea of a aftermarket tablet, and if so, which one should i go with? Phenix automotive is the one that keeps popping up on my search.

Thanks all

#3 ·
Crutchfield is not going to have anything to offer head unit wise for your situation. Sadly, automakers have made it near impossible to switch to an aftermarket head unit. That Phoenix unit looks nice. But, if your amp is out, the head unit most likely uses it, so you will be in the same boat. At least that's how my chinese android unit works... There's not much room behind the head unit for anything. I would bet that it's not more than 1.5" deep.

#4 ·
Going through the same thing now - my Sync 2 system is mostly dead - no audio...
Kenwood has 2 units that will fit with only minor surgery - some cut to the plastic behind the display. Both Kenwoods are iDataLink compatible so you should be able to keep the HVAC controls. But no built-in navigation.
Kenwood models are 706 & 7706.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.