Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about Seafoam on this board and it seems to be the overwhelming favorite. Thing is, another board I'm a member of is staunchly Berryman's territory, so I decided to compare for myself.

I've found the Berrymans exhibits far less 'smoke' when utilized in the same manner as the seafoam for cleaning the intake tract. I wondered why, so I got hold of the MSDS sheets for each. Turns out the Berrymans utilizes more of the light hydrocarbon solvents than the Seafoam, tolulene mostly, and that makes it a better solvent and cleaner burning. It also evaporates more quickly because of this, but I just don't see that as a downside since you either burn it in your intake or dump it into your fuel tank and dilute it.

For the record, I've been using Berrymans for the last 5 years to clean the engines on my Contour, Cougar, Mystique, and plan to utilize it tonight on my Sable.

I'd like to hear more from anybody who has made a comparison of the two directly. Specifically, I'd like to know if the Seafoams tendency to be less volatile makes it a more effective cleaner - since the cleaning procedure includes having the engine off for 10 minutes to let the Seafoam soak the intake parts. I suspect most of the Berrymans is long gone by the time ten minutes clicks around....

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The Seafoam is less aggressive, I can see in some situations that would make it better against really heavy deposits by allowing them to break down more slowly, preventing further damage. However, for typical purposes, I don't think there is a significant difference to which you use. Berryman's is cheaper, so I would tend to lean that way.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (2000Sable @ Jun 2 2010, 02:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808759
I wouldn't put any of that **** in my intake. BTW. Gasoline is mostly toluene.[/b]
Actually, toluene is only an additive to gasoline along with benzene, ethyl-benzene, xylene, and methyl tertiary-butyl ether.

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (zorrex @ Jun 2 2010, 01:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808748
The best is GM Top Engine cleaner. Better than Berryman's or Seafoam, from what I hear.[/b]
Any idea on what the cost is of the GM product? I remember about two years ago when Sea Foam was only about $5.99 for a container. Now, it's $9.99 at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. Soon, they'll probably be charging $25.00 like BK-44G. :eek:

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (t2t @ Jun 2 2010, 08:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808838
QUOTE (zorrex @ Jun 2 2010, 01:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808748
The best is GM Top Engine cleaner. Better than Berryman's or Seafoam, from what I hear.[/b]
Any idea on what the cost is of the GM product? I remember about two years ago when Sea Foam was only about $5.99 for a container. Now, it's $9.99 at Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. Soon, they'll probably be charging $25.00 like BK-44G. :eek:
[/b][/quote]
Unfortunately, my engine doesn't suffer from problems, so I don't have to purchase such products. I am merely reiterating personal experiences of other individuals I know who own Duratecs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts