Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
column/console... bucket/bench.. doesn't really matter to me. Although, I do prefer the console/bucket combo for the fact that I'm a smoker and like to rest my hand on the shifter. I also do prefer a split bench compared to the solid bench. BTW, does anyone remember the bucket setup from the early 80's GM cars that operated like a bench seat? My Cutlass Ciera and Skylark both had that style... I hate those.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Originally posted by hoboprodigy@Oct 5 2006, 01:42 AM
I will say tho It's rather difficult to feel a chick up with the freaking console in the way... always something to consider.
:lol:

That goes to the sig.

(If that's alright)

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Originally posted by StockersAuto@Oct 5 2006, 12:06 AM
I'm under 25, but just about every car I aspire to own has crushed velvet bench seats and was available with an 8-track or a factory CB.

Floor shifters make the car feel smaller, that's why I like the column.
Haha, we have the same tastes ... except i had to add my cb radio.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Originally posted by 02inBlue@Oct 1 2006, 10:40 AM
stickshifts and safetybelts,
bucket seats have all got to go.
when we're driving in the car,
it makes my baby seem so far.
i need you here with me,
not way over in a bucket seat.
i need you to be here with me,

but when we're driving in my malibu,
it's easy to get right next to you.
i say, "baby, scoot over, please."
and then she's right there next to me.
i need you here with me,

well a lot of good cars are japanese.
but when we're driving far,
i need my baby,
i need my baby next to me.

well, stickshifts and safetybelts,
bucket seats have all got to go.
when we're driving in the car,
it makes my baby seem so far.
i need you here with me,
Read my mind!

This is why older cars are so much better. When she can lay across the front seat on a long drive at night and use you as a pillow, it makes getting RH so much easier!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
SLO'wise, Column shifter>Console shifter. That is all. :werd:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Not too keen on that interior color either!! :lol2:

Aaron, we gotta get you out of that sub!!
We don't see too many posts here!! :)

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Column Shifters FTW :woot:

All The Vechiles I've Ever Driven Aside From My Tempo and My Buddies Old Taurus are Column Shifters.... I like that extra Leg Room..... and Btw I'm Only 20 as well....

More Relaxing On a Car Trip Not Having Ur Leg up against The console when Driving... (Wide Leg Person)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Have you seen the shifter in the '92 Oldsmobile 98 and 88? That's an ugly shifter. Not as ugly as that Pontiac, but it's ugly. I think the '90-'95 Taurus/Sable has the best looking shifter on a modern car.

You know what'd be cool? Buttons to select gears like on the '58 Edsel. It had P R N D L buttons on the horn pad and you just pushed a button to select your gear.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Oh man, I would like to drive a column shift manual some day. I also find the D-body Caddy's shifter a little short and chunky. I'd replace that with an Olds or Buick shifter in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by duraSEL01@Oct 5 2006, 06:28 PM
Aaron, we gotta get you out of that sub!!
We don't see too many posts here!! :)
Not happening 'till 2008 :)

Oh... and tomorrow (Monday) at Noon at Hooters in Tacoma, I'll be signing up for 6 more years.

Shore Duty in October '09 (hopefully) in Europe, the UK if I'm Lucky! :x:

Plus I'm getting...
$31,900 total (before tax) $11,000 up front, after tax, the rest over the next 4 years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I really miss bench seats and column shift as well. My wife's Taurus has both, but she always has the flip/fold console opened up.

I'm 34, but I drove a '66 Chrysler Newport convertible for 16 years (just got rid of it this year) and loved that car and pretty much all old cars. I got rid of my Newport because I hardly ever drove it anymore. Finally, after 40 years, they build better cars now.

The pics you guys are posting remind me of my first car, a '77 Ford Granada Ghia 2-door.

Here's a pic of my Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Sorry but I agree: Column shifter > floor shifter.

I also agree with Alex that the gen 1's (90-91 only) and gen2's had the best looking column shifter and had really hoped I'd be able to swap on in on my 01. But I've grown to like the look of my column shifter as it is now.

Those grand prix pictures: holy crap that shifter is HUGE! I forgot about those. It's seriously massive, I dunno how GM thought looked good at the time. Yikes :blink:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, keep in mind, in the 80s, GM made a Diesel engine out of aluminum, a variable displacement engine that didn't work, and Cadillac with a little stubby trunk. Then the Taurus came around and juet kicked GM in the ass. If you ask me, in the 80s, GM wasn't really trying.

41 - 60 of 139 Posts