Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Duratec DOHC 3.0L with 65k miles.

So on initial start up (after overnight parking and cold) you can kind of hear a slight growling sound on the pulleys. It is hard to nail down. Kinda sounds like the sound a loose Catalytic Converter mounts guts rattling. I've tried to nail it down with a stethoscope and still no avail?....WTF????

I'm thinking a Tensioner Pulley bearing or Idler Pulley Bearing. Does anyone know the part number for the bearing and can it be replaced in either of them?

Second, I can hear a small tap in the OH cam (valve cover) on the back side of the motor right at where the pulley for the water pump comes out of the back side. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you still have the original alterntor? Could be the bearings in it going bad.
Everything original.

I listened to the bearings and they were fine. The only bearing I can't hear properly is the tensioner pulley because it fluctuates, however I did see a little wondering of the bearing and that is the reason I asked this question as well?
Does anyone know the part number for the bearing and can it be replaced in either of them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done this on my Dodges. All you need is a little technical knowhow, a few tools, and the bearing number and type. The bearing number and type is listed in the part number and this is usually on the bearing plastic grease/debris cover for instance a 6010-SS.

Most of the times just the bearing needs to be replaced for about $2 a piece unless the spring in the tensioner or pulleys are damaged.

Now if I can just get a bearing number?

·
Registered
23,545 Posts
There was a thread on here not too long ago that listed idler and tensioner pulley bearing #s but i dont remember the author. You will have to search. Maybe a parts store can pull something up for you. Oreilly is pretty good about those things.

·
Registered
23,545 Posts
I changed just the bearing on a 98 windstar awhile back, but usually opt for the pulley. Iirc i got the bearing at oreilly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The bearing is a version of a 6203, probably 6203LU. I have replaced my wife's, my niece's and my truck's idler bearings with this number. The important part is to get a bearing that is sealed on both sides, not shielded. Mount the idler and spin it before replacing it on the car, you may have to "tap" it on one side to get it to run true.

Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks!

*Edit*..... I replaced the bearing with a 6203DU manufactured by NSK. It is a sealed bearing just as you described. I also had to tap on it to run true.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Confirmed:

The bearing number is 6203LU and it was produced by NTN Canada.

Also on the inside race is number F03070104 and 6203V195 for reference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts