Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I cleaned my engine with some Engine Brite degreaser and some Simple Green, and all is fine except for now I have a belt squeaking that I didn't have before. Could this just be some chemical left on my belt that is making it squeak? or can the chemicals actually harm the belt? It's been about four days of driving and the squeaking hasnt left.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Possible.

Carefully spray a small amount of WD-40 on both sides of the belt while the engine is running. It will dissolve any glaze on the belt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (sfhess @ Jun 8 2010, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=810385
Possible.

Carefully spray a small amount of WD-40 on both sides of the belt while the engine is running. It will dissolve any glaze on the belt.[/b]
Do not put oil on your belt, if it is a serpentine belt do not put belt dressing on it. Belt dressing is for v-belts. Replace your belt if it is worn.

Do not apply “belt dressing” to a serpentine belt in an attempt to quiet a belt or cure slipping. Belt dressing substance designed to cure V belt slipping by making the belt sticky. At best, it is a temporary palliative, even on a V belt. But, when applied to a serpentine belt, the dressing will be spread into the pulley grooves. Once there, it will attract and hold dirt and grit. The dirt will start the belt slipping again and all of the dirt and belt dressing will have to be cleaned out of the pulley grooves before a new belt is installed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
haha no don't spray wd-40 on there. Best bet is to first take your belt off and examine it. See if you can find an area where cleaner is on it, or if there is any cracks or splits.

Next, spin a few pulleys by hand and make sure they don't make noise and feel ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts