Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replaced this belt on the DOHC, about 2 years and maybe 15K miles. Do not know for sure but I think it was AutoZone house brand, but since I am not sure I will say that.

I replaced the belt on my Lincoln at the same time I did the Sable, but used Goodyear Gatorback as that engine is really hard on belts. 7 pulleys, and much heavier load. Also, many time more difficult to put on. Ford garage replaced the first one under warrenty and the service guy recommended that I use only gatorback for this difficult application. The Lin belt is the same cross section, just a couple of inches shorter. I just chedked the Lin belt and it looks fine, no cracks, no hardening.

For what it is worth.

I am not a fan of any brand part, but if there is hard evidence, then it is worth a listen.

-chart-

·
Registered
93 Posts
the autozone brand is supposed to be Dayco, however, I compared an AZ belt to an actual Dayco belt and it was nothing close. the AZ belt seemed to be rigid, firm and greasy like someone dipped it in oil.
I like the gatorback belts, but alas.. I've changed my #1 belt to Gates, #2 Dayco and Bando, #3 OE

See if Gates makes a Fleetrunner belt for your car.. the Fleet belts are green backed and are thicker.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
Changed my OEM belt at 150k to a gatorback. OEM belt looked fine, it was a mileage preventive maint. deal.
My Yukon gets driven not on a regular basis and the gatorback helped solve the squeeking issue from lack of regular use.
My gatorback just went through a locked compressor workout on the Sable, looks fine, only belts I use nowadays untill better comes along.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
I will only use Gatorback or Dayco belts. Used a AZ serp belt years ago in a pinch, and it failed in 6 months. IMO, even if Dayco makes the AZ belts doesnt mean that they are made with the same materials and to the same quality standards as Dayco branded belts.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I changed the factory-installed belt on my 07 Fusion at 120,000 miles. Old belt had no signs of wear or age.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Belts

I will only use Gatorback or Dayco belts. Used a AZ serp belt years ago in a pinch, and it failed in 6 months. IMO, even if Dayco makes the AZ belts doesnt mean that they are made with the same materials and to the same quality standards as Dayco branded belts.
My '02 Lin Cont did not make it out of warrenty. Gave the garage fits as they were Ford and not a Lin dealer. My selling Lin dealer refused to fix it.

They replaced the rack and pinion, pump, valves, and nothng helped as the PS would stall at about 1 stearing wheel turn with all things running. They changed the belt and found it to be really hard, glazed, but not cracked. They put new OE belt on, but the service guy told me I would likely need to change it every 30K or so, and to use a Gaterback. It flexes better and is easier to install. It has 7 pulleys, and loads much harder than the Sable with 5 pulleys. Lin turns the alt half again as fast as Taurus DOHC.

To replace belt involves removing tire and inner fender. 2 pulleys are hidden and you can barely see any part of them. The belt goes behind one idler, and in front of the other. Then I learned a lesson from a friend.

I'll pass it along.

Wrap the belt around the hard to get pulley and use wide masking tape, MMM Blue in my case to keep the belt on that pulley. Then one by one tape the belt to each pulley that is hard to reach. 2 from under the car, 2 in the wheel well, others from on top.

So, the extra flex of the Gaterback makes it not so hard to get that belt around the hidden idler, for which I used a yard stick.

And then, I put a new belt on my '03 Sable Sat when I did the PS seal. Combining parts replacement saves wear and tear on this old coot. Belt was a easy wrap but a pain to get the idler untensioned.

Happy belting.

-chart-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts