Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So yesterday I got some more goodies in from my good friends at Droppin' Hz Car Audio.

So with this stuff coming in I decided to go out and start to rearrange my amp rack. The previous one was working but wasn't quite big enough because I had to add the SSI to the mix. Here's the layout I ended up with:

This is how I spent my day. Not very many people can say that they can comfortably fit in their trunk and lounge around, because that's exactly what I did.

I actually took my time this time around and made sure all my wires were organized and it looked pretty clean behind the board reguardless of weather it will be seen or not. This is where the Droppin' HZ goodies came in. The ToolMaker 4g to 4g inputs are probably the best money I have spent in a while. These things help clean the wiring up so much and make it look so much more professional rather than a amateur doing it. However I did have to cut down the diameter on one set because they wouldn't fit in the Crescendo amp.

Negative runs

Positive runs

And then the speaker runs

Here's the end result. Still not in its final home yet. Trying to figure out exactly how I'm gonna mount it. Think I'm gonna nix my dow rod idea and go the pipe route. Menards has small sections of pipe I can buy and then buy floor mounts for each side. Then I can PL glue one side to the sheet metal of the car and then bolt the other side to the amp rack. If I do this in a couple places it should be sturdy enough.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Droppin' Hz are great people, it's cool to see some of the smaller audio companies on the market being utilized.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I've decided that I'm going to attempt to try and install a second HU. Considering the fact that I can't remove the stock headunit because I will lose my HVAC conrols and navigation, I'm going to try and tap into the stock speaker wiring at the stock headunit and then go to the aftermarket headunit. A buddy of mine has a spare kenwood HU that I'm going to use for testing purposes. If I can get it to work correctly I'm going to be buying a 80PRS. I think with installing a upgraded HU it will really make my system come alive and let me have more control over whats going on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I bit the bullet yesterday and bought my 80PRS and a PAC ControlPro SWI-CP5. Ordered them from Sonic Electronix and they will be here today. Next day shipping. I'm pretty impressed.

I also borrowed a buddy's cheap Kenwood deck that he had laying around and built me a box to house the 80PRS in. Had originally planned on put it in the center console, but unfortunately its barely not wide enough and not deep enough. Now the plan is to just take this box that I've built and mount it to the side of the center console right in front of the driver's seat. This will allow me to move it if necessary and it won't hinder the car in any way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What about cooling..will that be an issue? There's vents on the top of those to allow convection. If you're only using pre-outs the heat generated will be considerably less, but still present. Or am I way over thinking this? I just took a thermodynamics final exam and I might just have heat on the brain..

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
What about cooling..will that be an issue? There's vents on the top of those to allow convection. If you're only using pre-outs the heat generated will be considerably less, but still present. Or am I way over thinking this? I just took a thermodynamics final exam and I might just have heat on the brain..
Shouldn't be a huge issue. If anything I can drill some holes in the top and bottom of it to allow for cooling.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Got this beauty on my door step today.

Trying to get my box all finished up. Resined the outside of it, sanded it down and laid some filler over the top of it. It's almost ready to spray with some paint. I had originally planned on wrapping it in some leather I had laying around, but that didn't work out as I wanted it to so I switched to plan B. I'll spray it the body color of the car and then clear coat it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well 80PRS is in and playing. Was not a fun task. Still need to pull everything back apart and try and get the PAC controller wired up. I was running out of time and just wanted to get it playing. Having issues with the Velcro sticking to the center console so I may have to explore a different route. Box still needs to be finished up as well so its not completely finished. Would like to pull the front seats back out and make sure all my wiring is hidden correctly. My new SHCA RCAs should be here in the morning. May take the time Friday and pull everything out and get everything buttoned up. I can tell a huge difference between running on the CleanSweep and the headunit and the 80PRS.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just ordered my port for my box from Parts Express. Decided to switch to a aero port after reading up on them. Much more efficient. Never dealt with them before so I figured I would give it a go.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Just ordered my port for my box from Parts Express. Decided to switch to a aero port after reading up on them. Much more efficient. Never dealt with them before so I figured I would give it a go.
Yes sir, aeroports are more efficient and when done properly much less turbulent. Big flares on both ends helps the most

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yes sir, aeroports are more efficient and when done properly much less turbulent. Big flares on both ends helps the most
Ordered a 6" aero, but may have to do 2 4" aeros instead. Don't think there is enough room for the 6".

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So a couple small updates. Trying to get started on building a box for both 12s. Here's what Trent, Jeff, and I came up with. More Trent and Jeff than I.

This is rough...

Then I also order a few neo magnets to try and fix my mounting issue with my box I made for my 80PRS. Should be in some time this week.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well Trent and I finally got to build my box. Made for a long day getting off of work at 7am and working on it til about 3pm, but it is done. Sounds pretty good. Box is tuned to about 36hz. Likes anything from about 31-45hz maybe even a little higher.

Since we had some odd angles and a few minor gaps we fiberglassed the angled edges and then used the remaining resin we had went over all the seams. Once we got the other baffle on and the holes cut for the subs and port we glassed the other angle edges as well to make sure everything was sealed up tight.

This is what you call a completely sealed box.

And here's what it looks like in the car. Obviously not completely sealed off, but it won't take too much to do so. Trying to decide exactly how I'm gonna do it. Would like to add a second baffle to it so the subs can be flush mounted which will fill up a lilttle extra space. I didn't get to take a picture of the rear of the box but we had to build a spacer bar that goes along the back edge of the box so it sits level because my trunk drops off.

Next step is adding another battery, probably a XS XP975, at the least and then adding more power. Looking at either a SQ3500 or a DH3000, just depends on my funds. I will try and get a video or two shortly. Believe I actually have a little bit of windshield flex on the little amount of power that I'm running.

·
Registered
879 Posts
TRUNK WALL!

I love it man, looks awesome! Here's a pic of my own trunk wall in my old car

41 - 60 of 158 Posts