Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I hope someone can help with this problem.

About a week ago or so, I started noticing a sort of grinding/bubbling noise when idleing. It wasn't heard when driving at all. I got the oil changed and the guy at Jiffy Lube told me that it sounded like a pulley failing.

Ok. I called my car repair shop and spoke to the service manager and explained the problem. I also told him that I have no air at all, just heat coming out of the vents even when the setting is on cool. He said it could all be related and set up an appointment for Wednesday coming.

This morning my son got sick and was going to take him to the hospital. I got in the car and it started up just fine--but I noticed the battery light was on. When I tried to drive the car, it went just fine (just noisy, see above) but I had no power steering. I was not able to steer to the right at all and barely to the left. I pulled into another space at my complex and tried again. Car started fine, all electrical works and is not dim but no steering. Needless to say, I didn't go anywhere at all.

So any ideas what could be wrong and will it wait until Wednesday or should I take the car in sooner?

Thanks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
No alternator, a/c, or power steering strongly suggests the serpentine belt is gone, probably due to either a seized idler pulley or a/c clutch pulley. I wouldn't recommend driving it as the belt also turns the water pump and you will overheat the engine and cause a lot more damage (cylinder heads and gaskets are the big one). See if your garage will come and tow it in and have a look. Belt and idler pulley won't cost much if that's what it is. Please post back whatever you find out, we are a curious bunch :) Hope your son is feeling better and good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response. It was indeed the serpentine belt. I called my repair service and they towed it to the shop and the driver showed me the belt.

I'm still waiting for the shop to call and when they do, I'll let everyone know what happened.

Besides that, it has been a really decent car but I realize parts wear out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts