Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
PLEASE help me settle my paranoia!
I was driving around when I got home from Manhattan from school, and I was with a friend. He insisted that I beat the living crap out of my car. He says that going 100+ mph and flooring it is TERRIBLE for the engine. I mean.....is flooring it really that bad? I would hate to see my Taurus die on me before 80k! I'm at 45k now, and I want it for a VERY long time.
What do you feel constitutes beating the crap out of a car?

Take care!

P.S. Where can I get a cover for the windshield washer fluid sprayer? I must have taken it off in the process of desnowing my car!

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
If you aren't constantly bouncing off the limiter and you have tires rated 100+ MPH, you aren't doing any damage to the car as long as it isn't overheating. You might want to consider having a transmission cooler on. Those higher RPMs may put a bit of strain on the transmission, I'm not sure.

-Dan

·
Registered
668 Posts
Your Ford can take it.
Just dont overheat the thing. When youre cooling system cant keep up with the heat that you produce with your engine (i.e., constantly having high RPM's), you know youre running it hard. No neutral drops, either.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Also make sure the the engine is at operating temp before the flooring. I drive my Grand Am at 110 (engine limiter) all the time on the interstate with no problems.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
bouncing it off the limiter isn't a good idea, at least not with fords. Apparently ford's limiter is a fuel cut, so I hear, which means you could end up with a lean condition (not good).

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Get a chip. Then you won't have to worry about a limiter.

Last night my friend video taped my speedo when we made a run from 80 to below the 120 mark. I have to get my smart computer friend to come over transfer it from vhs to internet so you guys can check it out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Dec 20 2003, 04:12 PM
bouncing it off the limiter isn't a good idea, at least not with fords. Apparently ford's limiter is a fuel cut, so I hear, which means you could end up with a lean condition (not good).

-Dan
How's this work? I hit the limiter in my truck (95 MPH) quite frequently. I recently had to have an O2 sensor replaced sooner than I would have thought. Could I have caused it by doing this? I've really not thought anything of it before. Just cruising with the traffic and at times it moves quicker than I can.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
He means the rev limiter; on Ford engines, when a specific RPM is reached, the fuel will be cut to prevent the engine from revving higher. Say you're gunning it as hard as you can and your tranny shifts late; this can cause you to bounce off the rev limiter (did this twice for the first times last night
crazy 6500rpms, at least)

The speed limiter is a software governor that prevents a speed from being exceeded. This can be removed easily

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I know on my car the rev limiter is only in park and neutral. But if you are going 5mph or better and put it in neutral you can rev all day. But driving hard (red-lining gears) there no rev limiter. Now the reason there is a speed limiter is because the tires that come from the factory are mostly rated for 120mph. I know on the 99+ Grand Am GT(s) they can go to 130 because there tires are rated for 140mph.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Dec 21 2003, 09:39 AM
He means the rev limiter; on Ford engines, when a specific RPM is reached, the fuel will be cut to prevent the engine from revving higher. Say you're gunning it as hard as you can and your tranny shifts late; this can cause you to bounce off the rev limiter (did this twice for the first times last night
crazy 6500rpms, at least)

The speed limiter is a software governor that prevents a speed from being exceeded. This can be removed easily
I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough. I meant how does cutting the fuel off create a lean condition? Is this a temporary problem? I was under the assumption that that speed limiter was a fuel cut off just like the rev limiter. If cutting the fuel off is bad then is T/C bad for your car. I thought that was how it worked too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not sure if I have experienced similar problems, but I noticed (especially in my Taurus) that if I floor the gas suddenly and then let it go, the RPM lags a bit and then the whole car bounces when I hit the gas again, even if it was gentle the next time...I am extra worried about hurting my ATX...

Could this be bad for the Taurus too?

I floor mine a lot, some of my friends told me the same thing, that I will destroy the engine if I keep at it this way...thing is I can't help BUT drive like this....The Need For Speed..

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Flooring and driving your Taurus fast wont damage it really, unless you crash it, LOL! Please dont do that, dont put 5-star safety rating to the test. Trust me, these cars can take a wreck but dont try it!

Anyway, I drive my Tempo (3.0 Vulcan) all the time like that. It has no overdrive (not yet anyway!!) so its constantly doing much higher RPMs than a simlar Taurus w/ over drive. 151K and the engine is a solid as it was when I bought the car at 83K, which is to say pretty damn good. I bent the 85 speedometer needle down so many times I had to buy a 120 MPH cluster just to keep from breaking the needle! LOL! No, really, I've driven this car extreamly hard (even at least 10-15 Reverse-to-First burnouts) and all I have to show for it is bald tires, bad front wheel bearings at around 150K, and a leaky 3-speed slush-o-matic tranny that I want to swap for a 5-speed anyway.

Taurus' CAN NOT take the Reverse-to-First burnout shizzle, at least not first-gens. I did it in my moms 1997 Sable a few times (hey, it was highschool and he thought his Nova was bad a$$ because it could do a little one-wheel-peel so I showed him what Ford/Mercury power can do!) and its trans seems to be holding up fine but the one in my 1988 Taurus LX didnt. My room mate at the time did it ONCE in the car and that night, the tranny went compleatly out. No reverse, no forward gears whatsoever. Done. Toast. Sold it to a guy who had a wrecked 3.0 Sable with a good trans and he swapped it over.

I've done 100 or 100+ in my moms 1997 Sable for a good while, showed no ill effects. I've done it in the Tempo for nearly an hour (thanks long, empty, desert roads!) and it also didnt have a problem. Ford put rev limiters to keep the engine from revving to where it can be damaged. Going near or actually TO the rev-limter is still in the safe zone.

However, if you had two identical Taurus and put a brick on one cars gas pedal (letting it bounce off the rev-limiter) and let the other one idle indefinatly, I bet the one at idle would last longer if carbon didnt build up too bad. BUT, its much more fun to have the one at rev-limiter and it'd still probably last a good while.

FORD 3.0 VULCAN

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Oops for got to respond to your question GTM. The trans used in the Taurus is often critisized for its "lazy" shift patterns. Its a normal condition for it to do that, its typical of this transaxel. I once had a conversation with one of the eiditors of a major car mag (I wont say which one but it was one of the following: Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile or AutoWeek). We talked about the Taurus and I asked him his personal opinion. Keep in mind this is from my memory only, I didnt have a tape recorder, LOL. Here's what he said:

Editor: "Last one I drove was a 2000 Sable LS with the Duratec. Solid car. Quiet. Powerful. Not as smooth as Accord but getting there and with the price diffrence, its definatly a better buy. However, the tranny, I just dont get it, it, well, it, I mean, you know, it....."

John: "It doesnt know what to do next? As if saying, 'what does he want? should I shift or wait?'"

Editor: "EXACTLY! Never heard it put so well. I'd never expreaince that in a Maxima or Camry with an automatic. Ford has a solid car here, its a definate top seller but they hay-days of people buying Taurus over anything else is over I'm afraid. Not that I compleatly agree but the market has went back to Honda and Toyota."

John: "What do you think of the Vulcan?"

Editor: "If you blind folded me and slipped me behind the wheel of a generic Taurus with either engine, I couldnt really tell that much diffrence until I got out on the highway. The Duratec is smoother, no doubt, and more powerful. But, it makes its power at pretty high RPMs where as the older 3.0 [Vulcan] has more low-end grunt. Really its not a huge diffrene but I'd most likely choose the Duratec if price werent an option."

John: "So the Duratec is more Honda-like, the Vulcan more traditional Ford?"

Editor: "Very much so."

then we went on to talk about the product we were there for, the new-for-2002 Mountaineer. I think that pretty much sums it up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by johntaurus@Dec 22 2003, 07:38 AM
John: "So the Duratec is more Honda-like, the Vulcan more traditional Ford?"
I think Vulcan can be called traditional Ford only because it has been used in so many vehicles. Its chariteristics are not that of their typical engines. Anyone have torque and Hp curves of the two engines. I'd say up to 20 MPH the statement might be correct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts