Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted in here about a transmission problem I've been having before. Well I finally got it out of the driveway and I'm still at a loss.
So here goes...... The tranny fluid does not ha e any odd smell to it. Smells like fresh fluid. But it slips in and out of gear. I have had three.
Different shops tell me three different things that are wrong with it so again I come to yall. Shop 1 said the whole thing is shot and I need a new one.
Shop 2 said it is just the front pump. And shop 3 said that the shift selinoids were sticking and that was all. Any and all opions r are welcome.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It sounds like a lot of guessing is going on here. A good transmission shop will usually scan the OBD II for transmission faults like the shift solenoids or the vehicle speed sensor etc. By the way, take note if the speedometer works when the erratic shifting happens. If the speedo quits, the speed sensor ( VSS ) could be at fault.

The fact that you say the fluid is clean and doesn't smell burnt suggests that the transmission is not slipping, it's just shifting often. This also makes me suspect the speed sensor. The solenoids and the pump would probably fail over time and that would allow splippingof the transmission and burnt fluid.

The pumps in these transmissions have been know to have catastrophic failures ( eat themselves ) but when this happens nothing works.

The speed sensor VSS is inexpensive so its worth a try.

Good luck, Popeye

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the tran slips out of gear when you come to a stop .... odds are you have a leaking "front clutch piston"
The "slips into gear" part is baffling (or a poor description) ... never heard of a tran slipping into gear by itself.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (popeye @ Jul 20 2009, 09:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740726
It sounds like a lot of guessing is going on here. A good transmission shop will usually scan the OBD II for transmission faults like the shift solenoids or the vehicle speed sensor etc. By the way, take note if the speedometer works when the erratic shifting happens. If the speedo quits, the speed sensor ( VSS ) could be at fault.

The fact that you say the fluid is clean and doesn't smell burnt suggests that the transmission is not slipping, it's just shifting often. This also makes me suspect the speed sensor. The solenoids and the pump would probably fail over time and that would allow splippingof the transmission and burnt fluid.

The pumps in these transmissions have been know to have catastrophic failures ( eat themselves ) but when this happens nothing works.

The speed sensor VSS is inexpensive so its worth a try.

Good luck, Popeye[/b]
OBD II wasn't available until late 1995 and he has a '93.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then it is a bad description on my part. See if this clarifies........ I start out with the car in drive and after about 3 feet it quits pulling. Then when I let off of the gas it starts back again for 3 feet. It never changes out of 1st gear. Found out though that when my father in law had the water pump replaced the shop that did it also sprayed the whole engine and tranny with degreaser and water. How many sensors are on the outside of the tranny that could cause this?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (phatt_daddy @ Jul 20 2009, 05:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740822
Then it is a bad description on my part. See if this clarifies........ I start out with the car in drive and after about 3 feet it quits pulling. Then when I let off of the gas it starts back again for 3 feet. It never changes out of 1st gear. Found out though that when my father in law had the water pump replaced the shop that did it also sprayed the whole engine and tranny with degreaser and water. How many sensors are on the outside of the tranny that could cause this?[/b]
I think you're pump has failed, or you've cracked a forward clutch piston. I don't know of any sensors on the AX4S that would cause this issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, where is the vss on the tranny? Second, could the bearings that support the pump shaft cause my prob if they were going bad? And what is the diff between the ax4n and the ax4s??

·
Registered
484 Posts
Four things;

1) If the speedometer works the VSS (speed sensor) works. In any event, the VSS is on the lower rear part of the tranny housing, near the right side axle. It looks similar to a speedometer drive but it has wires instead of a cable.

2) You mentioned the pump shaft bearings. These bearings are a large part of why the pumps in these transmissions fail so suddenly. Long story there!

3) Regarding the comparison of an AX4s and the AX4N, check out the post " Finding the Right PCM " in this forum.

4) Your car is a 1993 which means it likely has an aluminum forward clutch piston. The aluminum piston was re-engineered several times and was finally replaced with a steel one. If you have neither forward or reverse but it feels like it goes " into gear " when you select a gear, chances are, the problem is the forward clutch.

Good luck, Popeye

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is the forwardd clutch piston fairly east to get to or does the tranny shop have to tear the whole thing apart? Also do i need a complete rebuild or can they just replace that and be done with it if that is all that is wrong?

Thanks,
Nate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts