Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran up onto some1s lawn on sunday, got stuck on a rock, had to have my dad pull me out in his Exploder. I looked underneath later on and all i saw was the scraper bar was a lil folded and there was a dent in the chassis and i knew the front end alignment had to be redone. Today, I was drippin tranny fluid. Took it in to Cooper's Garage (By Telegraph and Van Born, for those in the D-Town area, Great place) and i had to have the tranny fluid pan replaced and a flush, $167.

So hey, snow means u prob won't stop without abs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The snow is very dangerous and you have to watch out for it!

I once tore up a lot of the landscaping at a Burger King drive thru when I got stuck and was sliding around (in my old Ranger) :redface:

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Even with ABS, it takes longer for a car to stop; the tires are in contact with stuff that isn't as solid as asphalt, so there will be some give. Furthermore, the ABS sensors only detect wheel lockup, so even if you're braking without locking up, the tires can't get such a good grip on the snow as it would on dry road. I don't mean to rag on anyone here, but technology isn't a replacement for commonsense.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Even without almost useless ABS, snow isn't that hard to drive in. You just have to be a little more responsible and use that thing on top of your neck

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
ABS is for the weak.... I can pump my own pedal!
really though... i have to... people laugh that i don't have ABS...but it's more manly that way

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
I found that the best way to stop in snow is applying the breaks to the point right before the ABS kicks in...if you just push the breaks down all the way ... it doesnt stop as well....

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Yeah, ABS is for the weak... what kind of man can't pump the brakes 50 times in ten seconds?

I like my '64 in s***ty weather. With it's uber sexy 4 wheel drums, I don't have to worry about wheel lockup.
Of course, it weighs half what any Taurus weighs, and it has big fat chromed-steel bumpers, so who cares if they DO lock up?!

Here's a link to make you dr00l My '64... as of 3 years ago.

But, in all honesty, the '97 SHO owns 90% of the 4wd POSs out there when it comes to winter weather. Everything is very predictable, just like in my Falcon.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yes, ABS really isn't that useful on snow or ice. Your tires can only do a few basic jobs. They can accelerate the car, brake it, or try to steer it. All of those times one of the forces is fighting for grip. If you slam on the brakes while skidding, guess what? Your tires won't have the ability to try and steer the car, so you end up screwing yourself over. Brakes won't work either since the tires are being demanded to do something they can't.
Best thing on snow is to never fully brake, accelerate, or steer. Let the tires maintain grip with the road and you will be fine. Sudden movements will doom you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SixFoFalcon.......love the car and the theme music for it too!.......listened to the music 2 times already.

ABS is great for people who do not understand why they have it....if that makes sense?

EDIT/ADD: nice to see some Philly represent in here. Ever take your Falcon to local car shows?......Northest Lincoln Mercury at the Blvd. and Tyson have shows in the summer, I believe they are mostly locals.

Mike E.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can't be more agree with Majisto. I ussually take lower gears depending on road. If it is hilly, I definetely take #2 and lower my speed. It is good strategy not to put your self in a situation that you need to apply your brakes harsly on snowy or icy road.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by mikesSEL@Dec 16 2003, 02:32 PM
ABS is great for people who do not understand why they have it....if that makes sense?
That makes perfect sense. Most of us know that maximum braking efficiency is at the point right before the wheels lock up. But we all know a thing or two about cars. If you are mechanically declined or an inexperienced driver, there is a good chance you will floor the brake pedal if you start to slip. In that case, ABS if the only thing that's going to help you stop (aside from other cars, trees, utility poles, large rocks, etc.)

The main drawback to ABS is that while it is very effective on wet or unpacked snow, it gives you a false sense of security. The aforementioned people who don't understand ABS will just drive more aggressively. Couple that with the fact that these are generally the people who are least likely to see the difference between ice and wet snow, and you have a ticking time bomb on wheels.

The Taurus is a great vehicle in the winter, ABS or not. Given the choice, I'd take ABS, but like I've said, it's most helpful in rain or wet snow.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk@Dec 16 2003, 04:18 PM
64, Is that metallica on keyboard??
Yeah, it's MIDI audio. If you navigate through the different pages, many of them have different 'tallica songs. My CAD instructor loved it, too... she gave me a good grade on the site. The only sad part is I was right in the middle of changing the site when they terminated my school account (the same day I graduated... first time IT did anything on time!) So, I can't make any changes to the site anymore.

Sorry to post ***** OT... it's the first time, I swear!

*EDIT* Forgot to post the link for the main page My Webpage Project one is a good one... the rest of my MIDIs disappeared.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So after gettin the tranny fluid pan replaced I took it over to belle tire to get the front tires aligned, its where i bought the tires. Turns out I broke the passenger side spring and....

to replace it they have to replace both, to replace the springs the struts need to go too and the sway bar links are shot.

Estimate: $500

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Wow, that's insane... I slid into a curb and I thought my wheel bearing was done, but it was fine, and so was the ball joint.

Driving in Detroit is fun though... I mean you could just be driving, and all of the sudden, your car hit a pot hole and now it is sliding. Or traffic changing lanes every 3 seconds at 80 mph which is also fun. Who needs a skating rink when you have 696.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts