Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i was listening to the radio when i was cleaning the inside of the car...i went to start it up to pull it into the garage...low and behold the battery was dead. now, i asked my neighbor if he could jump me...and he did with his Escape. the thing is, the battery wouldnt start. so he gave me his spare battery out of his ranger. well, the poles were reversed and the the cables woundlt reach. let alone the fact that the CA was 100 amps more and the CCA was 50 amps less....give or take some. well, that battery didnt work. so he came back. saw me tinkering with the car. so he brought over his ranger this time and i put the original battery in and let it sit for a minute and this time, the battery charged. now whats up with that?? the battery is 3 years old. am i going to need a new one? anyone else have a simular experience?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well if you got a heavy stereo set up with boxes and amps and things it will drain the battery fast. if you got stock radio and wasnt listening to it aufly loud then you might need a new bat or alt or some other part of the charging system. I wouldnt worry, see how it goes, if it dies again then think of getting a new one but test the old one first. I left my lights on a few tiems and it died, jumped it and it worked fine still does a year later.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Mar 1 2004, 11:12 PM
batteries only last about 2-3 years. Vibration, weather variations, and usuage cause them to fail. Chances are, you need a new battery.
My OEM original battery lasted seven years. Just thought I'd comment.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got eight years and 80,000+ miles out of my OEM battery; it outlasted two sets of head gaskets, two AC systems, a radiator, a transmission, the brakes and the original tires.

·
Registered
181 Posts
First, if a car batter only lasts 2-3 years, it's been/being abused. I've never had a battery last less the six years, and most have lasted over seven.

Second, the 50A difference is nothing if the Ranger's battery is in reasonably good shape.

Third, what do you mean by "let it sit a minute"? Was the Ranger charging the battery for that time?

Whenever you get a jump (you know what I mean) or jump somebody (ditto) you should raise the idle of the charging vehicle, and let it charge the "dead" battery for a few minutes before you try to start your car. This is good for the battery and the assisting vehicle's battery and charging circuit.

Fourth, the Escape's battery and alternator may not have been up to the task, with your battery dead. Here is where letting the Escape run and charge you battery is a big help.

Fifth, the Ranger may have had a higher output alternator, a bigger battery in good shape, and you let it charge your battery for "a minute".

Sixth, when you took your battery out and put it back in, you may have cleaned up the contacts enough, just by removing and attaching the cables.

So there could have been a lot of small variables that added up to your car starting the second time it was jumped.

And finally, your battery may be in poor shape if running your radio draws enough current to keep it from starting. The state of your engine could make a difference.

One thing I've always done is replace the factory battery cables with very heavy duty aftermarket cables. Having a larger gauge (and keeping them and the terminals clean) eeks a bit more juice out of a battery.

And sometimes that's just enough to make the difference.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain+Mar 2 2004, 12:19 AM-->QUOTE (silvapain @ Mar 2 2004, 12:19 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-spridget
@Mar 1 2004, 11:12 PM
batteries only last about 2-3 years. Vibration, weather variations, and usuage cause them to fail. Chances are, you need a new battery.
My OEM original battery lasted seven years. Just thought I'd comment. [/b]
Maybe its the Texas summer heat followed by a sudden freeze in winter. I've seen VERY few batteries that lasted through their claimed life expectancy. I have an 8 year old battery that works great in my 1978 Datsun 620. Also, treating batteries with EDTA makes them last forever.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Mar 2 2004, 03:12 PM
Also, treating batteries with EDTA makes them last forever.
What is EDTA?

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600+Mar 2 2004, 02:41 PM-->QUOTE (dIESEL600 @ Mar 2 2004, 02:41 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-spridget
@Mar 2 2004, 03:12 PM
Also, treating batteries with EDTA makes them last forever.
What is EDTA? [/b]
Link 1
Link 2

My dad and I tried this as a science experiment when I was in junior high. It really works. I have never tried this on a "maintenance free" battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts