Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to safely install a battery shut off switch inside the car, like under the dash board or something, in Merc Sable 03? This is just for safety precaution. Thanx!

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I take it this is to prevent the car from starting due to it being stolen?

If so, cut the RED/LIGHT BLUE (+) wire, near the base of the steering column, and install a relay connected to a switch to keep the car from starting. You can hide the switch anywhere.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Is there a way to safely install a battery shut off switch inside the car, like under the dash board or something, in Merc Sable 03? This is just for safety precaution. Thanx!
[/b]
Of Course! You can use a remote shutoff which uses a High Amperage relay, Or even just use a good old fashions High Amperage Switch.

The only problem is your current usage, if you have a high amperage drawing device, you might overheat the wires if you use the wrong gauge, or blow the relay if you pull too much amps.

You can get in car battery cutoffs from your local autoparts store typicially.

I recommend Painless Performance Wiring, I use them whenever we need an electrical shutoff for a vehicle. They are used in NHRA NASCAR and other Racing industries, Off roaders choose painless as well.

Typically you would want A Heavy duty Cutoff Switch, such as this one. Some 10 Gauge Primary Wire, a high amp relay such as this one. And a wide assortment of adaptors and connectors for ~10 gauge wire.

All you have to do is run the 10 Gauge wire into the cabin through an existing hole in the firewall. (i use my parking brake hole under the drivers fender well cover) drill a hole for your switch to mount, attach the wires to the appropriate terminals, and fasten the relay in a safe place.. and voila. Your done. Safe and easy internal vehicle cutoff switch.

Cant help but wonder.. why do you need one of these? are you going to be entering 24 Hours of LeMons? :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
His car was stolen, and the guy still has his key. That's why I recommended a simple relay on the starter circuit. You can get a standard 30 amp relay with a harness rather cheap and it wouldnt be hard to wire up. You could even do a cool switch using a magnet that you could stick to the dash somewhere if you used a magnetic reed switch. (that's uber cool and hardly detectable) Just keep a magnet in the console and stick it to the spot when you need to start the car.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
His car was stolen, and the guy still has his key. That's why I recommended a simple relay on the starter circuit. You can get a standard 30 amp relay with a harness rather cheap and it wouldnt be hard to wire up. You could even do a cool switch using a magnet that you could stick to the dash somewhere if you used a magnetic reed switch. (that's uber cool and hardly detectable) Just keep a magnet in the console and stick it to the spot when you need to start the car.
[/b]
Oh i didnt know that. I though he wanted a battery shutoff.. not a starter kill.

I think putting a magnet in a ring that you wave on a part of the dash when the key is in run to start would be bad ass...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Oh i didnt know that. I though he wanted a battery shutoff.. not a starter kill.

I think putting a magnet in a ring that you wave on a part of the dash when the key is in run to start would be bad ass...
[/b][/quote]

...What about just getting a new ignition?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

...What about just getting a new ignition?
[/b][/quote]

Shhh. shut up. we're the real pros. :angry:

Lol J/k. :p

I think he wants that and something else to enhance his security.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! Special thanks to 00tec-saTX. That magnetic switch sounds pretty cool man! Where can I get one of those?, do they sell them in the auto parts stores?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Thanks everyone! Special thanks to 00tec-saTX. That magnetic switch sounds pretty cool man! Where can I get one of those?, do they sell them in the auto parts stores? [/b]
They usually sell them in Radio shack, they are the little sensors you see around doors that activate when you open the door. This one will work:

http://www.terminalresolutions.com/servlet...d-SWITCH/Detail

I can draw you a diagram when I get off work later utilizing a relay because that switch wont handle the load.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotemain'> Thanks everyone! Special thanks to 00tec-saTX. That magnetic switch sounds pretty cool man! Where can I get one of those?, do they sell them in the auto parts stores? [/b]
They usually sell them in Radio shack, they are the little sensors you see around doors that activate when you open the door. This one will work:

http://www.terminalresolutions.com/servlet...d-SWITCH/Detail

I can draw you a diagram when I get off work later utilizing a relay because that switch wont handle the load.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks man! I am not really sure which wire to cut dough, checked under the column, found bunch of wires coming down to the right of steering column, took a picture of the one that falls under description, but want to make sure I got the one. I'm gonna try to attach the pic, but don't know if it will work. Any way, the wire I found is red with the blue stripe on it. Thanks for the help!
[attachmentid=28419]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
It's probably thicker than that. Think 10 or 12ga. I'll look into the diagrams more closely when I get home.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Bah, connect a relay to the cigarette lighter. Cut the 12V+ feed to the lighter and connect the relay coil ground to it. Then when you want to start the car push in the lighter and turn the key, it grounds the relay and the car cranks. If you don't push in the lighter the car will not crank.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Bah, connect a relay to the cigarette lighter. When you want to start the car push in the lighter and turn the key. If you don't push in the lighter the car will not crank. [/b]
That's pretty cool too :thumb: but you would lose your lighter/plug wouldnt you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bah, connect a relay to the cigarette lighter. Cut the 12V+ feed to the lighter and connect the relay coil ground to it. Then when you want to start the car push in the lighter and turn the key, it grounds the relay and the car cranks. If you don't push in the lighter the car will not crank.
[/b]
That sounds cool too. How do I find the ground though? ( not an expert in this, sorry 4 questions) Basically, once I find the ground to the ignition relay - cut it and run it trough cig lighter. Right?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You switch wire that runs from the ignition switch to the Transmission Range Sensor with the relay.

You use the same wire as a 12V source for the relay and then the cut lighter wire for the relay ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You switch wire that runs from the ignition switch to the Transmission Range Sensor with the relay.

You use the same wire as a 12V source for the relay and then the cut lighter wire for the relay ground.
[/b]
There are four wires that go from the ignition to somewhere, I unplugged the connector for those and tried to start the car. It works beautifully, all the dashboard lights come on and everything, but the car wont start ( I suppose those are the wires that crank the starter). But I need to choose one of them... So, my question is: does it matter which one I bypass through the lighter, and if it does make difference - how do I find the ground one? I included the pic with a bit of description. Thanks.

[attachmentid=28420]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
What color are the wires?

When the lighter socket is pushed in it grounds. So the ground you would want is what USE to be the hot wire for the lighter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What color are the wires?

When the lighter socket is pushed in it grounds. So the ground you would want is what USE to be the hot wire for the lighter.
[/b]

I modified the previous reply with the picture. So, once I got the ground, I run it to the lighter, then from the lighter back to reconnect, which basically makes the lighter the switch. Right?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The ground at the lighter would be to ground the relay coil that would switch the wire from the ignition switch.

I don't have a wire diagram for the 2003 so don't really know what to switch.

The 2002 wire diagram looks like the ignition switch goes to the PCM and the PCM grounds out the starter relay coil to feed 12V to the starter solenoid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts