Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could somebody point out the location of the battery saver relay for my 2002 taurus? I've looked through the owners manual, but all I can find is the fuse location.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure that I understand you correctly, you're saying that the "battery saver" relay is the same as the "accessory delay" relay. Those have been referred to as different devices on this forum (http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117-electronics-security-audio-visual/89676-electrial-problem-draining-battery.html), but those posts may not apply to my particular model year.

The #1 relay is labeled as the "Accessory delay relay" in the owners manual: http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owne...als/default.asp

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
The battery saver relay is part of the CJB (central junction box) board, so you can't just replace the relay without replacing the whole CJB unless you have the skills to open up the CJB and desolder the relay.

The accessory delay relay (#1) is the only part of that circuit you can remove and replace independently. The point of the battery saver relay is just to control the accessory delay relay, so their functions are always tied together.

If you can be more specific with your problem perhaps I can help better?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, now I'm thinking the accessory delay relay is bad.

I have had a reoccurring problem with having a dead battery, generally caused by leaving the lights on (the car no longer dings at me if I do that) but also caused by the glovebox light staying on. So I was looking into the battery saver circuit, since it's obviously not working.

Since you mentioned the accessor delay, I've realized that the accessory delay doesn't work on the car either (it never has since I've owned it). All the accessories (windows, etc) work, but they stop working as soon as the key is shut off.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
The accessory relay powers the the windows and lights and everything, so if the windows work with the key on but not with the key off the accessory relay is operating. This might be normal operation because I'm not sure that 2002 had the key-off delay for accessories like the newer cars do.

Again to confirm, if you open the door and the power windows don't work, then turn the key to ACC (one click back) and the windows work, the accessory relay is working.

If you leave one of the overhead lights on, what happens after you get out of the car, close the door, and wait 15 minutes?

If the glove box light is staying on, you should consider replacing the switch.

Does the cluster show a door ajar warning when you open any door?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I need information on testing or repairing this battery saver relay which part of the CJB.
The battery saver relay is part of the CJB (central junction box) board, so you can't just replace the relay without replacing the whole CJB unless you have the skills to open up the CJB and desolder the relay.

The accessory delay relay (#1) is the only part of that circuit you can remove and replace independently. The point of the battery saver relay is just to control the accessory delay relay, so their functions are always tied together.

I need information on testing or repairing this battery saver relay which part of the CJB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where is this located on a 2005 Taurus? Repair instructions? I can solder if I know where it is and how to get to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts