Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 ford taurus, I changed the alternator about 3 weeks ago, charged the battery all has been good until today. I take my car a short 3 block trip down the road, started just fine ran good, came home went to leave again and my car wouldn't start at all....gauges clicking i know probably doing a self check. It runs fine after its jump started but can't shut it off or it won't start again. So my question is. Is it the battery? The starter? Or grounding issues? I'm stuck...

·
Registered
212 Posts
You sure the battery is charging? Buy a cheap voltmeter - measure voltage at Batt w engine OFF (should be around 12.4V or so, I think) - start car and measure voltage at batt at idle and at 1,000rpm or so - should be around 14V or so. (Auto parts store may do this for free.)
You say you 'charged the battery'.... How old is it? Did you get it load tested? Most auto parts stores will load test it for free. Old batteries won't hold a charge well. If you're getting a voltage rise at the battery with the engine running, you may simply have an old battery that won't hold a charge.
Clean the grounds if in doubt.
Have the parts store hook their scan tool up to it and get the codes. They can check your starter too.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Gauges "clicking" or jumping around is a classic sign of low system voltage.

Are you sure you installed the correct alternator? Earlier alts are internally regulated while later alts like the one in your 06 are regulated by the PCM. The 2 types of alts look externally identical. Not uncommon for the idiot counter people at the parts store to sell you the wrong alternator.

New or reman alternator? If reman, suspect a poor quality rebuild or a "spray can rebuild". For critical parts like alts, starters, etc I always buy NEW parts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My preference with alternator or starter is to remove and take to a local re builder who specializes in REPAIRING starters and alternators. The trade off is less cost, better quality, but a days downtime. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
533 Posts
My preference with alternator or starter is to remove and take to a local re builder who specializes in REPAIRING starters and alternators. The trade off is less cost, better quality, but a days downtime. ;)
If you can find a local that does rebuilding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2006 ford taurus, I changed the alternator about 3 weeks ago, charged the battery all has been good until today. I take my car a short 3 block trip down the road, started just fine ran good, came home went to leave again and my car wouldn't start at all....gauges clicking i know probably doing a self check. It runs fine after its jump started but can't shut it off or it won't start again. So my question is. Is it the battery? The starter? Or grounding issues? I'm stuck...
I went through a similar problem after a shop rebuild my alternator and charging the NAPA battery, then exchanging the NAPA battery because it was bad. Then rebuilding the alternator again and the NAPA battery was replaced under warranty again. If you have a 14.5 output on the alternator replace your battery. Less than 14.5 on the alternator output? Replace the battery and alternator at the same time. This took me 3 weeks to figure out because I want to believe it was something else. And NO! I did not use another NAPA battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts