Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Bad ground, bad motor mounts. Does the motor "rock" when shifting into gear?

·
Registered
397 Posts
There is a lone wire on the alternator that lets you know the alternator is putting out (ummm, taken out of context?)

this wire jars loose easily, as it is a short wire with a flimsy connection.

I have circled the wire in question.
When you put the car into gear, it may jar it loose.
You will notice how short the wire is, and you will understand WHY it can come loose.
check this first, and you may have to put in a short extention of your own wire to get a good connection. Radio shack or parts shop (like auto zone) will have parts you need.

I had the same problem with my car. Just do not mistake this small wire with the big one that supplies all the current from the alternator.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This problem could also be low power output which drops further when you're in drive. IE 600rpm in gear VS 1,000 or so at idle in park or neutral. I'd check the alternator output at idle and again with all the accessories on. If it's dropping below 13 Volts, I suggest replacing the alternator. This is of course after you are sure all the connections and terminals are ok and not the problem. I had a similar problem myself. At idle in park with no accessories on, the car was charging at 13.4 Volts. Then with all the accessories on, output dropped to 12.6Volts. Fortunately I had a spare alternator so I popped that in and she's now charging at 14 Volts at idle with all accessories on. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Impatient - I was going to check those wires but never got around to it, I removed them when I took the radiator out.

Also I was thinking maybe I did not ground something right or what not. Because the front amber lights do not turn on with the lights. Maybe this is a side problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts
here it is. I am not sure exactly what you are after, so I shall explain further if this does not help.

The battery and the terminals are not original. That is why they are not corroded.
What is it you are trying to find out?

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just checking to see that you had the starter wire and the other wire connected to the front as well.

I will go check the alternator connection in a bit. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts