Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'02 duratec

Battery light is on and I'm having trouble finding the cause. Battery voltage is 12.7 and goes up to 14.3 when engine is running so I believe both battery and alternator are okay. I've cleaned battery terminals and ground terminals on fender and firewall. Anybody have a suggestion what else it could be?

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Voltage regulator?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think the regulator is built into the alt but it seems to be working if the charging voltage is 14.3. I rechecked the ground points on fender and firewall and even cleaned the connections on the mega fuse. I loaded it down with lights and accesories on while running and the voltage only fluctuated .1v. I'll get underneath and check the plug and cable connections next. I've got another alt I saved from a different car but changing them out on a DOHC is not what I call a fun time. Anybody run into a similar situation with good voltage readings but alt was still bad?

- forgot to add that I am not getting any trouble codes.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
I think the regulator is built into the alt but it seems to be working if the charging voltage is 14.3. I rechecked the ground points on fender and firewall and even cleaned the connections on the mega fuse. I loaded it down with lights and accesories on while running and the voltage only fluctuated .1v. I'll get underneath and check the plug and cable connections next. I've got another alt I saved from a different car but changing them out on a DOHC is not what I call a fun time. Anybody run into a similar situation with good voltage readings but alt was still bad?

- forgot to add that I am not getting any trouble codes.
If you have '01 Alt on '02 and later the charging light will be always on. Been there. See table the '01 and earlier use the gray body regulator and '02 and later use the white "PCM" control regulator. Upper part of sheet, 4G series for DOHC. Black body used on V-8 engines with the same Alt.

Color of body of regulator not part number is the determining visual.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chart you are a genius, I bet that is the problem! I'll check tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts