Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if you have seen my introduction posts than you have seen my issue with the bull I just bought. If you haven't, then hears whats going on. The battery light in on. I went through and tested the battery and the alternator. It came up with a bad battery. So my buddy hooked my up with a battery. The light is still on, so i asked another friend who works for an independent shop that see's these bulls all the time. And he said that there is a fusible link between the alternator and the battery, and if that link blows it will not allow the alternator to charge the battery properly unless at high RPM's, or something like that. He wasn't completly sure. Does anyone have any more info on that? And yes, the new battery is good. Thanks, Chris

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
The "fuseable link" is the MEGA fuse on the pass. side of the engine fuse box.

How do you know the battery is bad? It can be dead from a bad alternator and not bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "fuseable link" is the MEGA fuse on the pass. side of the engine fuse box.

How do you know the battery is bad? It can be dead from a bad alternator and not bad.
Our $2000 battery tester at work. During it's testing, it needed to charge the battery, after 50 minutes of charging it still tested bad. Thanks for that info though, that'll help me out alot hopefully.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
OK, the battery voltage should read at least 13.6v at 1500 rpm on a fully charged battery with a large electrical load applied. If not the alternator is suspect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, the battery voltage should read at least 13.6v at 1500 rpm on a fully charged battery with a large electrical load applied. If not the alternator is suspect.
yea, it's running that loaded, but the light is still on. Is there any truth to what I typed originally about the link?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
There is no link. The MEGA fuse lugs may be corroded and causing this though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Clean the connections to the starter and alternator, along with the ends of the mega fuse. Coat the ends with some dialectric grease and reassemble. I've been having starting problems for more than a year and must admit that this was the last thing I did. Me bad or stupid, but in my defense nobody online mentioned it.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
It came up with a bad battery. So my buddy hooked my up with a battery. The light is still on...
Sometimes, when you try to charge a completelly dead battery directly with the alternator, the alternator one will burn out (because of the higher electrical load presented).
With a dead battery always use first a battery charger.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
yea, it's running that loaded, but the light is still on. Is there any truth to what I typed originally about the link?
Assuming the alt is charning and voltage is ~14V with minimum load:

The light gets it's signal from the voltage reg. which is on the alternator.

Light green/Red wire and the bulb gets feed from fuse that is Hot In Run.

So the bulb gets bat volts from part of the Hot In Run circuit and bat volts from the alternator when all is working.

Regulator may not be giving the right signal, or there may be a short/load on the Hot In Run side of the bulb circuit.

-chart-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts