Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my bull decided to annoy me. When I put the key in and start the car the car starts pretty quickly and sounds normal, but for one thing. The darn battery / alternator indicator light stays on! What should i look for? What do you guys think is failing? i just got a new battery in the car so im thinking its my alternator which is 3 or 4 years old.

Also i just got my car back from getting its transmission rebuilt but i dont know how that could mess with the alternator or battery.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It could be a loose wire from the tranny job. Check the battery voltage with a multimeter with the engine at 1500 RPM in Park. If it's 14+ volts it's charging, if it's 12.5 or less its not charging.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be a loose wire from the tranny job. Check the battery voltage with a multimeter with the engine at 1500 RPM in Park. If it's 14+ volts it's charging, if it's 12.5 or less its not charging.
Thank you i will check that today with a voltmeter. What wires do you think the mechanic could of bumped when he rebuilt my transmission? Also if it means anything when i got it home i did an oil change on it and put new spark wires on it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
A significant number of connectors need to be separated to pull the tranny. I would look around the engine compartment and check any connector you can find to make sure it is fully seated. There's a big one held together with a bolt. Make sure the bolt is tightened(not too tight,the connector is plastic).

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Check the electrical connections at the alternator.

If thats ok, check the alternator field fuse in the under hood power distribution box. If it's blown, the alternator won't output anything.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check voltage on the heavy wire at the alternator (engine off). Should be battery voltage ... if no voltage, could be a blown fuse link between battery and alternator.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys i checked the battery just now and with the car off the battery voltage was 12.7 and with the car on the battery dropped under load to 12.36. This would not be possible unless the alternator is not doing its job right? Well, i double checked on another taurus and that car was 12.7 off and 14.76 on. So do you guys think my alternator is my problem? This would make sense then why the battery light is staying on.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The alternator isn't outputting anything, your battery warning light said so & now your multimeter has confirmed it as well, the question is Why????

So check the items folks have posted above & make sure all those things are ok. If so, then suspect the alternator!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts