Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been happening since I got my car about a year and a half ago. The battery light, with no pattern, rhyme, or reason, will randomly come on, stay solid and/or flicker, then go off. My battery is new. My mechanic and my own personal findings say my alternator is fine at 14v.

What else could it be?

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's a long time for it to be doing that and to not have something finally fail, ie: battery, alternator, serp belt, etc. Perhaps it's just gremlins (the little furry ones, not the AMC variety)...:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
i mostly get it when i accelerate from a stop relatively fast. what cause mine to start this problem was bad motor mounts and when i would accelerate it would pull on the wires when the mounts were bad but i have since replaced the motor mounts but that is not on subject

·
Registered
20 Posts
Battery light flickering

I have the same problem and and I think I know what it is. Next time you are driving, see if it comes more or less when the A/C or defrost is on. I think it comes down to is that if the serpentine belt is slipping at all, then the alternator cannot do its job and as such the battery light comes on. The belt will slip more if it is worn out and also check the pulleys that the belts ride on. I found one of my pulleys with what look like cuts in it which is not doing the belt any good either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pretty sure it's just gremlins. Been three years, no breakdown. Except that one time that I had heat going at full-blast, big ol' amp going, and the key in the ingition, but not running.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine does this also. Just had the tensioner replaced. New battery, new alternator. Belt is nice and quiet, no slipping that I know of. Shop I just had it at says it could be 1 of 1000 different things and not to worry about it. I hate that my battery light comes on though. I think I'm going to check the fuses like the mega fuse and a few others and possibly replace them if they are cheap, otherwise, oh well, what are you going to do?

Anyone know where that battery light bulb is? Lol. I hate that battery light at times.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On my car, probably less than 1000 miles on the alternator. Granted, it is a remanufactured unit from autozone I think is where the guy got it from. I know it was their base model remanufactured one with a one year warranty. This is actually the second one in a year, with the old one(1st remanufactured), I had the light occasionally, but not until a month or two back. The first one got traded because I had squealing under the hood, and a shop said there was a little noise in the alternator pulley, not because it was not charging well.

The second one got put on, I started getting the light more often, but still had the squealing, which was solved with a new tensioner.

The alternator on it I think is one of these, I'm not a mechanic, I'm a computer guy, so a guy I did some work for fixed the car for me fixing the computer.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...-jehixZ93xme?itemIdentifier=616345_2177_9599_

But I've taken it to Oreilly auto parts and walmart who have both tested it and say it's putting out about 14 amps. Walmart's test was more thorough, they had me rev the engine etc. The battery measured 661 cold cranking amps, the alterator measured 14.1 amps at idle, 14 under load according to the tester(headlights on, radio on, ac on, revving the engine to about 2000 rpms).

Shop that just changed tensioner says not to worry about the light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts